Pre-Heat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

okeedokeesmokee

Original poster
Nov 29, 2013
Swartz Creek, Michigan
I just started using a propane smoker the other day.  I made a batch of jerky and it turned out alright but a little to dry.  My questions is should I pre heat my smoker and get it up to temp before I put my jerky in.  I didn't last time and I think it was in there to long and also should I have the smoke a rollin when I put the jerky in?  Thanks guys for any help!!

I would preheat to make sure your smoker is at a low stable temp (165º to 175º or so...), lightly dry jerky for an hour before adding smoke as it will not take on any smoke given to it till it has become tacky. Watch the jerky fairly close while smoking and remove about a half hour before you think it is dry to your preference as it will continue to dry when removed and cooling to room temp.

Thanks again for the info Mo!  I'm gonna give it a try today.  I have some curing in the fridge right now!  Good thought about it not taking smoke if its overly wet!  That makes a lot of sense!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky