pre cooking brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I always boil mine for 15-20 minutes or so before grilling. Not really sure if that is required or not, but they sure do seem juicy when I do. Can't say as I have ever not done it.

Cook fully and reheat another time? Sure, I've done so many many times. Or are you wanting to cook and hold hot for fast serving at a big event?

I was thinking about pre cooking then freezing. That way I could just take them out whenever and grill them up to eat.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Though I am unsure if freezing would affect taste if any. You could give it a try and see how it works. Keep in mind you'll be waiting for them to thaw out before grilling.

I usually boil fresh brats in water and beer with a few black peppercorns then grill to nice golden brown.

You could, but the time it takes to heat up a cold cooked brat on the grill vs. the time it takes to cook a raw one isn't that big. I cook raw brats on the grill in 10-15min.

I usually boil fresh brats in water and beer with a few black peppercorns then grill to nice golden brown.

Yeah, that works well. If I have time I like to poke 'em a couple times with a fork then into a ziplock with beer, sliced onion, garlic, o/n. Then dump the mess into a pot, bring to a boil, then finish the brats on the grill. Keep the pot simmering and you'll have nice onions to top with.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I don't make fresh brats(only store bought here), but I just toss them on the grill like hot dogs. Me and the pooch like them on the dryer crispy side.

Chris

Yeah, that works well. If I have time I like to poke 'em a couple times with a fork then into a ziplock with beer, sliced onion, garlic, o/n. Then dump the mess into a pot, bring to a boil, then finish the brats on the grill. Keep the pot simmering and you'll have nice onions to top with.

Mmmmmmm... now you just gave me an idea for brining brats overnight before throwing them in the smoker. :)

We generally boil the brats in beer/water with some chopped onion. Then grill over charcoal. Eat two and freeze the rest, two to a package. To reheat we thaw in the microwave then heat in a small skillet on a bed of sour kraut, a little water if needed, and a lid so they can steam a bit and not dry out.
A brat
is not a brat
without
kraut.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
We generally boil the brats in beer/water with some chopped onion. Then grill over charcoal. Eat two and freeze the rest, two to a package. To reheat we thaw in the microwave then heat in a small skillet on a bed of sour kraut, a little water if needed, and a lid so they can steam a bit and not dry out.
A brat
is not a brat
without
kraut.

Definitely agree with you about the kraut. It is a must have!

A brat
is not a brat
without
kraut.
A brat
is not a brat
without
kraut.
Yes, you got my idea right on thanks, Geo.

Are you making a fresh sausage or a smoked sausage? If you are smoking them then you will be cooking them to an internal temp of 152°.
Not smoking them . Fresh then cooked ( boiled ) in beer and kraut. After that I will package them and freeze them. As Braz stated above. Thats how I'm going to do it. Thanks again ALL for your input. Geo.

I make quite a few different brats/sausage and I always throw them in a hot water bath up to a IT of 160, cool on racks the vacuum pack in packs of 5. This works for my family we are pretty busy so when we have sausage for dinner its defrost then really just mark them on the grill and heat through.

Reactions: charcoal junkie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky