Praline candied bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Been tinkering, and really like this batch. I took some of my home made bacon, ugly pieces that didn’t make the packages. Cooked it off in the skillet, and set to the side. Preheated my oven to 375, coated the strips with maple syrup & dredged in a mix of brown sugar, white sugar and chopped pecans. Into the oven until the sugar begins to caramelize. Then cooled on racks and refrigerated until it becomes slightly brittle. This stuff is soooo good!
28648A7F-8365-4493-8530-4F0B2930FEBD.jpeg
E8A166F7-681E-4562-8A11-AE9417AB8041.jpeg

Coming from VT this may sound strange, but I hate tree piss. Do you think honey could be substituted for the syrup? Those look awfully good Saint.

Point for sure
Chris

Coming from VT this may sound strange, but I hate tree piss. Do you think honey could be substituted for the syrup? Those look awfully good Saint.

Point for sure
Chris
Absolutely Chris. Matter of fact the first time I did this I tried cane syrup. Anything w a sweet sticky glaze oughta work.

Reactions: gmc2003
Lol!!!! Tree piss! That's a good one. And you're not alone. My wife doesn't care for it either. I was thinking about making another batch of bacon jam. But this sounds delicious. Was the brown and white sugar a 50/50 blend?

Reactions: 73saint
Lol!!!! Tree piss! That's a good one. And you're not alone. My wife doesn't care for it either. I was thinking about making another batch of bacon jam. But this sounds delicious. Was the brown and white sugar a 50/50 blend?
Thanks Steve. I used 3/4 cup of light brown sugar to 1/4 cup of white sugar to 1 cup of chopped pecans.

Reactions: Steve H
Thanks. I do believe I'll be on a quest tomorrow!
Let me know what you think. Better yet, let me know how you think it can be improved. I pretty much sat by the oven, right when brown sugar starts to bubble and liquify, I turned off the oven. First batch I got a little too dark.

I bet it’d be good w a dash or two of cayenne.

Dang. I would have to leave the almonds out. Might have to try this.

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky