Coq au Vin for Selma

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Since having kids my movie exposure has become very broad, especially during COVID. Lately my oldest daughter has become obsessed with a movie called “Here Comes the Boom” about a high school Biology Teacher that becomes a UFC fighter to raise money to save the music department. It has Kevin James, Henry Winkler, Selma Hayek, and Joe Rogan and is actually funny. But, there is a scene where Kevin James wants to impress Selma and has his brother make a fancy meal for their first date, Coq au Vin. My kids were asking what Coq au Vin was and I had no idea, so I looked it up and found out I had most of the ingredients to make it, so I gave it a go. The following is the recipe I used, I didn’t have any brandy so that was left out, I wasn’t intending to post, it looked ugly, but it actually came out tasting really good! I thought the story behind how I made it was pretty funny too!

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 4 ounces diced bacon
  • 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 4 pounds), trimmed of excess skin (see note)
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • ¼ cup Cognac
  • 2½ cups red wine
  • 2½ cups chicken broth
  • 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks (I used baby though)
  • 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
DIRECTIONS
Before anything started I smoked the thighs for a bit to get the smokey flavor after a S&P seasoning:
tempImageIkaS69.png

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large (5-qt) Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until the fat has rendered and is a bit crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate, leaving the fat in the pan.
    tempImagecQr8Cu.png
  2. Once you have chicken smoked enough, Increase the heat to medium-high and brown half of the chicken in a single layer, skin side down, until golden and crispy, about 5 minutes (brown on the skin side only). Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate; set aside. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Pour off some fat if too much.
  3. Return the pot to the stove and reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the onions to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and just starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the bacon and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the Cognac and cook, stirring to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until the Cognac has evaporated. Add the wine, chicken broth, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, thyme, bay leaf, and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and gently boil, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
    tempImageVlNT6f.png
    tempImagewCDxIg.png
  4. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices from the plate back to the pot, along with the carrots. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, or until the chicken and carrots are cooked through.
    tempImagenH4XZo.png
  5. While the chicken cooks, heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
  6. Also while the chicken cooks: In a small bowl, mash the softened butter and flour to make a smooth paste. Set aside.
  7. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
  8. Increase the heat in the Dutch oven/pot to medium and stir in three-quarters of the flour and butter paste. Gently boil until the sauce is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes; add the remaining paste if you'd like the sauce a little thicker. Fish out and discard the bay leaf.
  9. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices back to the pot and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Right before serving, stir in the browned mushrooms and pancetta. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, then serve.
    tempImagexoLibx.png
    tempImageHFpNj9.png
It didn't come out looking too pretty! But the flavor was fantastic, its a heavy meal, but I may have put more butter in!

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• tempImageFQHS9T.png
    tempImageFQHS9T.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • tempImagesj8BdW.png
    tempImagesj8BdW.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • tempImageNPinwe.png
    tempImageNPinwe.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • tempImage2lCnFq.png
    tempImage2lCnFq.png
    787.3 KB · Views: 4
I also saw that movie. Laughed through it all.
And its a great looking plate to me. Bet it was great with the rice. Mashed taters would be good too.

Jim

Looks fine to me! Maybe just a few chives dancing on top and a few capers around the edge would dress it up nicely.

I'll have to pry the two cups of red wine out of my wife's cold hand but I want to give it a whirl..

That looks good from my viewpoint.
Can I get a plate please?
Thank you Chili! I appreciate it! You’re welcome to a plate anytime, just bring some of that Carne Asada please!
I also saw that movie. Laughed through it all.
And its a great looking plate to me. Bet it was great with the rice. Mashed taters would be good too.

Jim
Thank you Jim, it is a pretty funny movie! Lots of flavor in this dish, would have been tasty with good potatoes, but rice was what my wife had at the time 🤣 worked out well! I appreciate the compliment!
Looks great Jed ! Fun way to share the movie too .
Thank you Chop! Educational!
Looks great Jed! I always knew it as chicken braised in red wine. I never had it though but yours looks delicious!
Thank you Ray, I’d never heard of it until this movie, but I guess Julia Child made it famous a while back and it was a popular dish for a bit? It’s good though and fairly simple. I’d recommend a go when you’re in the mood for something rich! I appreciate the compliment!
Looks fine to me! Maybe just a few chives dancing on top and a few capers around the edge would dress it up nicely.

I'll have to pry the two cups of red wine out of my wife's cold hand but I want to give it a whirl..
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment! 🤣Luckily my wife isn’t much of a drinker so I’m the only one that needs to be disciplined enough to give up a bit of the bottle🤣
Coq Au Vin....rooster cooked in wine...MMMMMM! Very complex favors in that dish!
Thank you Inda! Unfortunately not enough over the hill roosters around me so I went with the thighs🤣 There is a lot of flavor though. I thought it was a great dish snd will definitely do it again!
Looks fantastic Jed! I loved that movie too! I pretty much love any show that features Kevin James.
Thank you Jeff! I’ve watched it a lot over the last year, Kevin James is pretty funny in almost every movie he does, but I’ve liked this one the most. Also, I never thought Neil Diamond “Holy, Holy” could get turned into a pre fight song, but they did it, even after the first laugh🤣

Reactions: negolien
Fantastic Jed,
Funny how some of our meals get imagined from other things going on in our life.
Great concept and looks perfect

I could sit for a plate or two of that right there

ps: love that movie, one of his better ones ( Kevin James )

David

Reactions: bauchjw
Jed, that looks positively delish! I will bet everyone ate it with gusto! As someone said, it was a great idea to pair it with the movie! hah!

Kudos!

• Haha
Awesome meal Jed! I too am a big fan of that movie… but somehow I missed that part! Gives me a good excuse to watch it again! Again, awesome meal buddy!

• Haha
Great looking plate and inspiration Jed !
Sounds like it's loaded with flavor and goodness.
We love the movie too and KJ.
But that Selma...😍😂

Keith

• Haha
Yeah, I too remember that from julia child. I thought both the movie julie and julia and the Julia child tv series recently were pretty cool. She brought a lot of people together in the klitchen.

Fantastic Jed,
Funny how some of our meals get imagined from other things going on in our life.
Great concept and looks perfect

I could sit for a plate or two of that right there

ps: love that movie, one of his better ones ( Kevin James )

David
Thank you David! I appreciate it! It’s fun when you see something in a movie and try to recreate, but I guess this is a first for me🤣 I’ll have to do it more often! I felt like I needed to douse myself in Drakar when I was cooking it🤣 Your welcome here for a plate at anytime!
Jed, that looks positively delish! I will bet everyone ate it with gusto! As someone said, it was a great idea to pair it with the movie! hah!

Kudos!
Thank you Kim! It was eaten with Gusto🤣 I appreciate your time!
Awesome meal Jed! I too am a big fan of that movie… but somehow I missed that part! Gives me a good excuse to watch it again! Again, awesome meal buddy!
🤣 It’s when his brother helps him out before his first date🤣 Worth a re watch🤣 Thank you Justine!
Great looking plate and inspiration Jed !
Sounds like it's loaded with flavor and goodness.
We love the movie too and KJ.
But that Selma...😍😂

Keith
Ah yes Kieth…wow, Selma! Truth be told I was hoping if I learn to cook Coq au Vin good enough she’ll come by! I’m sure my wife won’t care🤣
The grocers here sell stewing hens which are older tougher birds. Great for gumbos and Coq Au Vin! Those older birds have a ton more flavor!
Wow! One of many downsides to living in a city. I’ve always heard that the flavor Is better. My grandma, who lived in rural Iowa, died a long time ago, but my Pop talks about her stewing hens from time to time. You’re very lucky!
Yeah, I too remember that from julia child. I thought both the movie julie and julia and the Julia child tv series recently were pretty cool. She brought a lot of people together in the klitchen.
Yes, My wife and I saw the movie and enjoyed it. It does make you appreciate where all these books started from!

Minus the schrooms I'd be all over that plate. Nice write-up and dish Jed.

Point for sure
Chris

douse myself in Drakar when I was cooking it🤣 Your welcome here for a plate at anytime!

OH MY GOD, you would smell some pretty, Salma would be all over that.....Coq au Vin i mean :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_laughing:

Thanks I would love that if I ever get the chance to travel past your way, just a little " Hai Karate " behind the ears if I make it , lol

David

Looks wonderful. I tried a version of this (per Alton Brown) a while back. It was a 2 day process but well worth the effort. Love the dish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky