Potato,Cheese & Onion Pierogies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Did not take a lot of pics
But here it is 2 & 1/2 Pounds of Tatters
with Chicken Bullion cubes
100_0014.JPG
While they were boiling I diced 1/3rd of an Onion
100_0016.JPG
Saute until a light brown
100_0021.JPG
I riced the potatoes & shredded some Cheddar
mixed the Onion in
100_0024.JPG
Made my dough
100_0025.JPG
Rolled and filled the Pierogies these went into the freezer
100_0028.JPG
These we kept for dinner
100_0031.JPG
Fried up with some Onion for dinner
100_0036.JPG
Thanks for watching
Richie

Plain Dough Ingredients
2 large eggs (room-temperature, beaten)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water (or more as needed, lukewarm)
2 cups all-purpose flour (or more as needed)

Pierogi Dough (Sour Cream) Ingredients
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus flour to dust the work surface
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Large eggs (room temp)
1/3-1/2 cup water
Directions
1 In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, and water.( Sour Cream if using)

(Using a KA add liquid to the flour)
2 Add the flour all at once and mix until well moistened.

3 Then knead the dough in the bowl until it is firm and well mixed.

4 Cover with an overturned bowl or loosely with plastic wrap and
let rest 10 minutes to 1 hour for the gluten you've developed in
the mixing process to relax. This will make rolling much easier.

5 Or you can wrap the dough in plastic, refrigerate it, and work
with it another day. Make sure you let it come to room temperature before you start to roll it

Potato-Cheese Filling:
2 pounds russet potatoes (scrubbed and boiled in their jackets)
2 tablespoons onion (finely minced, sautéed in 1 tablespoon butter)
8 ounces dry curd or farmer's cheese,cheddar (room temperature; or ricotta)
1 Tspn kosher salt (to taste)
Optional: freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

1 Gather the ingredients.

2 Make the filling by peeling the potatoes and fork blending or ricing them (do not mash) into a large bowl.

3 Add the sauteed onion and Cheddar cheese and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.

4 Assemble the pierogi on a floured work surface. Roll out the dough thinly and cut with a 3-inch round or glass.

5 Spoon a portion of the filling into the middle of each circle.Fold dough in half and pinch edges together. You can use a fork to do this

Last edited:
Richie those look great! Those onions on top look nicely caramelized. I have an Aunt whose family is polish. Her and her sister make thousands of pierogies around Christmas time to freeze for the year. Yours look like some goods eats!

I've been wanting to make these after seeing you post them awhile back . I have the dough recipe here some where . I bet those are great .

Those look wonderful Richie, Like! I used to live near a deli where the owner made large perogi's with sausage and cheese, they looked golden brown and kind of fried. I'd heat them up in the micro at home and dip in a little hearty mustard, they were to die for. Wish I know how to make them. RAY

Reactions: Fueling Around
Richie those look great! Those onions on top look nicely caramelized. I have an Aunt whose family is polish. Her and her sister make thousands of pierogies around Christmas time to freeze for the year. Yours look like some goods eats!
Travis these are easy enough to make we do 4 doz at a time Thank You
Richie

I've been wanting to make these after seeing you post them awhile back . I have the dough recipe here some where . I bet those are great .
Rich Thank you I made a different recipe for the dough much better,my wife agreed I will add it to this page later.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Reactions: chopsaw
Those look wonderful Richie, Like! I used to live near a deli where the owner made large perogi's with sausage and cheese, they looked golden brown and kind of fried. I'd heat them up in the micro at home and dip in a little hearty mustard, they were to die for. Wish I know how to make them. RAY
Ray Thank you these are actually pretty big they do puff up when boiled.I did a post it has my old recipe but the steps are there.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Reactions: sawhorseray
Great looking meal, as usual. I cant remember the likely hundreds of Dozen eaten over 57 years. If i may add...Lots of folks want to Try Pierogi but are apprehensive about the technique and amount of work. Here is a super simple facsimile...The easy part is the Filling. Make your favorite, but fill Jumbo Stuffing Shell Pasta! 5 pounds of Potatoes will fill 2 boxes of Cooked Shells. Take a 9 X 13 baking Dish and cover the bottom with caramelized Butter and Onions, about half of 2-3 sticks plus 2-3 Cup small diced Onions. Fill the pan with Stuffed Shells and top with the remaining Butter and Onions. Cover with Foil and bake at 325 until hot. Serve with Sour Cream. Pretty easy and tastes great...JJ

Reactions: Steve H
Looks great Richie!!!!!

I had some church ones the other day that I pulled out of the freezer.

Like!

Looks great Richie!!!!!

I had some church ones the other day that I pulled out of the freezer.

Like!

Fond memories. Our Polish Church would celebrate the Feast of St. Anthony. A carnival for the kids, Pierogi, Stuffed Cabbage and a Beer Truck, for the adults. My Mom and 2 Aunts would join a Army of Old Polish Ladies, a month out, rolling, stuffing and pinching Pierogi. All by hand and those ladies were fast!...JJ

Reactions: xray
Great looking meal, as usual. I cant remember the likely hundreds of Dozen eaten over 57 years. If i may add...Lots of folks want to Try Pierogi but are apprehensive about the technique and amount of work. Here is a super simple facsimile...The easy part is the Filling. Make your favorite, but fill Jumbo Stuffing Shell Pasta! 5 pounds of Potatoes will fill 2 boxes of Cooked Shells. Take a 9 X 13 baking Dish and cover the bottom with caramelized Butter and Onions, about half of 2-3 sticks plus 2-3 Cup small diced Onions. Fill the pan with Stuffed Shells and top with the remaining Butter and Onions. Cover with Foil and bake at 325 until hot. Serve with Sour Cream. Pretty easy and tastes great...JJ

JJ Thanks but the Italian in me would not allow that,but would allow me to use the KA W/Pasta attachment LOL
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky