Possible BBB Issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

garyinmd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2011
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I cut up some pork butt and put in Pop's brine for 10 days, turned and massaged at least two time per day.  Did not do a fry test do to time but soaked in water for one hour, dried in front of a fan, then smoked in the MES for a total of around 17 hours,keeping the smoker temp around 75 deg the whole time.  Took out then into the fridge to rest a couple of days before slicing.  Put in the freezer today when I got home from work and then sliced.  Was surprised at how pink the middle of the slices were then began to question if I should have gone longer in the brine.

Not sure if the pictures do justice for how red these were in the middle, however with a 17 hour smoke I am wondering if they did get a good cure and the color of the outside is due to 17 hours of smoke.  Do not want to take a chance until I get some feedback from the group.

Thanks up front

Gary

Thanks Martin.  This is the first time I made BBB and was not expecting that much of a color difference.  I did fry up a couple of pieces just to try and with no other spices on the first run was very pleased on the taste.

Thanks again.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky