Position for smoking a turkery

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokie bill

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I'll be smoking an 11.5# turkey tomorrow in my vertical Masterbuilt Pro propane smoker.  Is there any difference between laying the turkey down on the grate or standing it vertically?  I've only smoked one turkey & & I did lay it down on the grate.  It was brined & it came out just fine.  Was just wondering about a bird smoked in the vertical position.

Bill

Personally they all work the same. Though some do swear it helps promote the juices staying in the breast or the butter hanging around better. Even without the brine, the injections, the marinade, and all the other modifiers have never had a dry bird that was not over cooked. All the rest of those basically add flavors, salt butter, sage, rosemary, honey, sugar, etc etc etc.

To me it just really doesn't matter. I can pull the wing tips back and tuck them making a stable bird with no burnt tips. The breast browns without streaks, but its all preference.

Since you have the chance, why not try it and tell us what you decide? Sounds like the perfect chance. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky