Porksteaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

30" Jim

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
I am going to do some 1" thick porksteaks in the MES30.
I plan to run the MES at 230. After smoking, I plan to put them on the grill with indirect heat to put a nice glaze of Sweet Baby Rays.
I am thinking that I will pull them from the smoker at 185 IT.
I am looking for your thoughts on 185 IT and a guess how long it will take to get there.

Are you looking to pull them or just eat as a steak? I would just smoke them to 145 them a flash sear on the grill to eat as a steak.

Barry.

Yea i agree put a little smoke on them then grill on direct heat until about 145-150 IT. it will be like BBQ steak! Yum and take pics to post on here!

Happy Smoking (porksteaks!)
phatbac (Aaron)

Oh yes! That!
Get them dry brining in a little tenderquick and brown sugar NOW! (1/2 OZ or 1 TBS of TQ per lb of meat plus 1 additional TBS of brown sugar.)

Not going to pull them. Just want to put some smoke flavor in them

What would be your guess at how long it will take to get to 145

If they are loin chops, I would not take them past 135-140 in the smoker & sear them on a hot grill.
The final IT would be 145.
Al

I got them done and they turned out pretty good. I let them get away from me and pulled them from the smoker at 148. They were not as juicy as I would have liked bet still very tasty.

20180629_153847[1].jpg

Here they are ready for the smoker

20180629_181623[1].jpg

After smoking and ready for the grill.
Pulled at 148 IT
Next time I will use olive oil instead of mustard

20180629_194514[1].jpg

After glazing with Sweet Baby Rays with honey and beer added.
One of them disappeared from the plate before I got a picture!

Overall I am pretty happy. Great smoke and seasoning flavor. Moist but not as much as I would have liked. I am not sure why the mustard didn't cook away. maybe 2 hours is jus not enough time.

kick the heat up in the smoker next time or just cook on the Weber with some shag bark hickory bark throwed in about the same time they hit the grill

There is alot of connective tissue in porksteaks. It takes time AND temp to break those down. Lately I've been finding that cooking indirect on the Weber Kettle to an IT of 180-185 yeilds near fork tender and juicey results. My average steak is 3/4 inch thick and takes 45 mins to an hour. Wish I could tell you what temp the kettle was running.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky