Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

prplptcrzr2003

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 9, 2005
Georgia
:) Feast your eyes on this baby! We enjoyed munching on this during our trip to Puerto Rico on 7/3. It was roasted over an open fire using wood from mango trees, and other various hardwoods. The turning mechanism was rigged from a washing machine motor and some other components and it turned the hog at a nice slow, steady pace. I couldn't tell if the mango tree made any difference in flavor, but boy, oh boy was it awesome nonetheless!!! This baby wieghed 80 lbs prior to cooking...so there was meat a' plenty for the 4th!
4cbb9e9f_vbattach10368.jpg

586f1ccc_vbattach10369.jpg

Wow, that looks nice!!! I'd love to smoke with some Mango Wood, but the trees I have in South Fla. are too precious to burn. (or at least until a Hurricane blows them over! LOL!).

We have a strong PR population down here, and apparently this is a normal festive activity! I like the ingeniative idea of using the washing macine motor..................Brilliant!

Jeff

Wow that looks like some really great Que... whatever wood it was cooked on. I am sure that I speak for alot of us when I say I am jealous...Puerto Rico, sun, sand and warm water topped off with an 80# Pig. Sounds like a great 4th!

The question that would be most important to my wife however, is were you able to get the washing machine back together after the smoke? LOL.

LOL.....the mechanism was made specifically for smoking hawgs. I wish I could take credit for it, but it was a friend of my brother in law's who built it.

Reminds me of my meatcutting days. We had some customers that would order whole, de-haired suckling pigs for barbequeing. They never invited us to the pig roast but they would bring us some of the meat that they 'qued and MAN-O-MAN that was some fine eating. Whenever we would ask them what they used for their basting/mop sauce they would just smile and say "Catch ya' later". I did however taste just a hint of the South's finest libations-either Uncle Jack's Old #7 or Cousin Jimmy's sippin' whiskey. :D

Hey Earl-
This weekend, I am doing some ribs and I found a glaze recipe that is JD Old No.7 based. After I've tried it, and if it's good, then I'll post the recipe for those who are interested.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky