Pork Spares; Christening the New Backwoods Chubby G3 (w/PICS)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snadamo

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Wife was gracious enough to purchase a rack of pork spare ribs for me to use my new smoker. I gotta say they turned out fantastic. Not the most scientific method since I used a new rub and new fuel and new smoking wood, but I can say with certainty this smoker did it's job. Quick facts on cook:
  • Fuel = Mix of B&B briquettes and B&B Oak Lump (I was low on charcoal)
  • Temp = I was shooting for 250 ish and it did not disappoint. One thing I've learned is not to obsess with exact to the nth degree temps. Reduced my stress for sure
  • Smoking wood = I used B&B peach wood chunks for the first time. I really like the flavor they put on the meat. First time using peach. Usually on ribs or other pork cuts I do apple. Very pleasant surprise.
  • Fan Controller = Just ran my flameboss with no fan and ambient probe. I wanted the graph and take good notes (pictured below)

I ran the rack for about 2 hours and checked for bark, etc. It looked and felt good so I wrapped in a small amount of squeeze butter, honey, and brown sugar (the family likes the sweet stuff). Thrown back in wrapped in fioil for about another 90 minutes. I did a bend/tenderness test and it passed. Pulled them out and glazed them down with a thinned out sweet baby rays sauce. Back in they went for another 30 minutes. Pulled and glazed again. After short rest we cut them up and at the whole damn rack. Positives reviews from my second harshest critic (Mrs Snadamo), and "best ribs we ever had" comments from the kiddos. Talk about tender! Perhaps too tender for some people. Personally, I am more of a texas style or Carolina style guy, but I make it like the family wants it; sweet and tender :)

Seasoned with Killer Hogs BBQ Rub
52078453050_08d5c28533_b.jpg

My temporary setup in action
52077962671_8eff0c1784_b.jpg

After 2 hour smoke with bark, ready to wrap
52077962646_1e0c849a57_b.jpg

After 90 wrap
52078452400_bb9a21138d_b.jpg

After 30 minute glaze. I love the pullback :D
52078198849_70389f18d7_b.jpg

Pulled and re-glazed again
52077085757_e699579646_b.jpg

Final picture before they all disappeared.
52077976523_54fc5d144c_b.jpg

Here is the Flameboss graph. Once I got the fire going, it was rock steady. I didn't use as much fuel as I probably have should, but was short as mentioned earlier. Long story short; when I made my adjustments, it was SOLID. Note I DID NOT run my fan and was adjusting vents along the way to get the feel. I honestly thing for short cooks the fan is not necessary.

52077101812_14dcb6dd5a_b.jpg

Sorry for the lengthy post. I know this cook wasn't special, but it was sure damn good and fun! Thanks for looking!!!

Nice way to make the family happy even if they weren’t your favorite style. Great looking ribs. Like my dad always said, “If momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. If daddy ain’t happy, ain’t nobody care.”

Reactions: snadamo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky