Pork Tenderloin w/ porketta rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I decided to smoke a pork tenderloin with my porketta rub since the wife is away for the week and she is not a huge fan of fennel,

The pork:

I didn't grind up the fennel seed because I like the coarse texture that the rub brings.

The Rub:
2T Fennel seed
2T Dill
2t Oregano
2t Garlic Powder
1t Onion Powder
1/2t Rosemary crushed
1/2t Thyme
1/2t Black Pepper

The tenderloin was smoked at 225 with apple wood. I pulled it off the smoker when the internal temperature hit 145°.

Here it is plated after a 20 minute rest:

Close-up:

Good stuff! especially if you like fennel

Good looking loin and fennel Xray! I agree with you about the grinding of fennel. But I like to "crack" the whole fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle to release the oils. Use what ya got though. Try it if you haven't done that before. 

That loin looks perfect

Thanks Adam!

Good looking loin and fennel Xray! I agree with you about the grinding of fennel. But I like to "crack" the whole fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle to release the oils. Use what ya got though. Try it if you haven't done that before. 

In the past, I've tried putting the seed in a ziplock bag and rolling with a rolling pin, but it didn't work out well.

A mortar and pestle or maybe a spice grinder will make its way onto my Christmas list.

Tasty!  I like fennel and tenderloin!  My lady likes neither.  This is a plan for my dinner one weekend.  I make her pan fried dumplings, "pot stickers"  and I don't touch the things.  It's complicated!  
30.gif

Mike

Xray, that tenderloin looks fantastic!!  Its one of my favorites.  I love fennel and just happen to have a supply of it for breakfast sausages, but it never occurred to me to put it on loin---duh!!  I will absolutely be trying your rub out next time.  Thanks for posting the recipe for it.

POINTS!! for a great job and a great idea.

Gary

Ray that looks great,it is on my to do list for this weekend Thanks for sharing Points

Richie

Xray, that tenderloin looks fantastic!!  Its one of my favorites.  I love fennel and just happen to have a supply of it for breakfast sausages, but it never occurred to me to put it on loin---duh!!  I will absolutely be trying your rub out next time.  Thanks for posting the recipe for it.

POINTS!! for a great job and a great idea.

Gary

I hear ya Mike.  Same sorta thing at our place.

Gary

Thank you and thanks for the points! Hope you like it.

I've made this a few times before but I still can't convince the wife. Maybe she is genetically pre-disposed to hate fennel, kinda like how some people have a gene that makes cilantro taste like soap.
Ray that looks great,it is on my to do list for this weekend Thanks for sharing Points
Richie

Thank you Richie! Let me know how it comes out for you.

Thank you and thanks for the points! Hope you like it.

I've made this a few times before but I still can't convince the wife. Maybe she is genetically pre-disposed to hate fennel, kinda like how some people have a gene that makes cilantro taste like soap.
Thank you Richie! Let me know how it comes out for you.
Ha!!!  Seems like I have that gene--unforturnately

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky