• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Since summer is almost upon us - the outdoor parties can't be to far behind. This is an appetizer that is always a huge hit at our parties. The pork shot is a little bundle of goodness that is very simple to make and smokes up quickly. This thread will hopefully get you through the basics of making them. Lets get the party started.

First the gotta start the fire:
DSC00671.JPG

Thin blue smoke:
DSC00672.JPG

Ok seriously...the mixings. Kosher salt, garlic and onion powder, ground pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, smoked sharp cheddar, kielbasa, dark brown suger and bacon.
DSC00663.JPG

Slice the kielbasa up into half inch or so slices.
DSC00664.JPG

Cube the cheese small enough to fit in the shots.
DSC00665.JPG

Slice the bacon to fit one revolution around the kielbasa. I got lucky this time as slicing it in half fit perfectly.
DSC00666.JPG

Roll them up and insert a toothpick to keep the bacon from unwinding. Note to self: make sure you have enough toothpicks before starting.
DSC00667.JPG

Drop in a few cubes of cheese:
DSC00668.JPG

And fill with your favorite rub mix. I listed my ingredients at the top of the page.
DSC00669.JPG

Since I'm only doing a few pork shots the Kettle with a side basket gets the call.
DSC00673.JPG

Indirect heat - Kettle is about 225 to 250* degrees with a chunk of apple. The two hot dogs are for skidmark. He loves smoked hotdogs.
DSC00675.JPG

Their almost done.
DSC00677.JPG

Plated and ready for the pallette:
DSC00678.JPG

Thanks for taking a peek hope you enjoyed. This is how my family likes them. Some people like cream cheese instead of cheddar, while other folks put hot peppers in them. It doesn't matter it's all good. Use your favorite rub mix. I've made these in small batches like this one or larger batches(100 to 150) for my childrens wedding receptions and haven't had any leftovers to take home. Give them a (pork)shot if you've never tried them.

Any suggestions are more then welcome.

Chris.

Attachments

• DSC00670.JPG
    DSC00670.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 29
Oh Yeah!!!:)
My Kinda "Shots"!!!
Can't see the TBS on that Fire though---Might be a little too hot !!

Bear

Dang those look good Chris!
I'm going to make them the next time we have a party, instead of ABT's.
Might stick a chunk of jalapeno in with the cheese!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Last edited:
The opening pics of this thread made me laugh my a$$ off. That was awesome. Food looks great. I’m definitely putting this on the menu

Reactions: 801driver
Looks great . One of my favorites .

Thanks chowsaw it's one our favorites also.

Oh Yeah!!!:)
My Kinda "Shots"!!!
Can't see the TBS on that Fire though---Might be a little too hot !!

Bear

My favorite kind of shot to. Haven't had a drop of liquor since the early eighties. Beers another story. It was hot one. I had to put the chairs back away's to enjoy it. Thanks for the like appreciate it.

Those look great, I'm going to try some tonight.

Go for it Lookn4u, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Let us know how they turn out. Thanks for the read.

Chris

YEAP! That awesome! Thanks for sharing! I’m going to have to try them!

They've been around for a while and I've always been a fan of them. Thanks for the kind words and like - appreciate it.

Dang those look good Chris!
I'm going to make them the next time we have a party, instead of ABT's.
Might stick a chunk of jalapeno in with the cheese!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Thanks for the nice words, like and ride Al. If you do drop a jalapeno in them make sure to use a different colored toothpick to identify which ones have the hot peppers and which ones don't.

The opening pics of this thread made me laugh my a$$ off. That was awesome. Food looks great. I’m definitely putting this on the menu

Thanks dcecil, that's one of the benefits of living out in the boonies. We usually have three or four bon-fires a year. When I could stay up latter into the evening I had them at night. Now that's a real site. Unfortunately skidmark wakes me up at 3:00am every morning on the dot so my bedtime has gotten early. Thanks for the kindly words and let us know if you try them out.

Chris

Reactions: Walchit
Great cook!!! They are on my to do list on July 4. Thanks for sharing.

Looks great! They are always a hit around our house. We have used brats, polish sausage, Italian's, and even summer sausage.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Nice gotta try this

Thanks for the read ACtech, give'm a try I'm pretty sure you'll like them.

I see new things all the time that I can try to cook and I almost always say “why didn’t I think of that” XD. Well done they look incredible.

Thanks for the like bassthumb, pork shots aren't all that new, but I know what you mean. Ton's of stuff being smoked on here that I've never seen or heard of before. I don't usually post the usual stuff unless I do something different or it's a first for me. I like to post things that don't get all the attention or stretch the boundaries of some piece of equipment I may have.

Ya, I’m gonna have to try these to.
They look great!!

Thanks Smoke23 for the like appreciate it. They do taste good and are a big hit at parties. Let us know if you make them.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky