Pork Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

potsieko

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
St. Amant, LA
The weather and empty freezer dictated I make sausage, so that I did. Total weight was 40 lbs. I just bought a new grider plate in 1/2" size, and wanted to try it out for a more chunky sausage. Although the pork butts weren't too fatty, the coarser grind shows more fat. After grinding, it was time for the Potsieko2000 to get to work mixing the meat!
IMG_2418.JPG
Once properly mixed, it was time to stuff.
IMG_2413.JPG
Natural hog casings in 38-42mm size, and into the ice chest to transport to the smoke shack.
IMG_2414.JPG
Hung in the shack - one hour at 110* to dry the casings.
IMG_2417.JPG
After 4 hours of oak/hickory smoke.
IMG_2421.JPG
Turned off the heat and smoke - left in the smoke shack overnight (39*) to bloom. Total smoke time was 9 hours.
IMG_2422.JPG

Looks good.... Nice smoke color and probably flavor also... You have any pics of your smokehouse ??
FWIW, I like the larger grinder plates for sausage also... Think about grinding say 25%-50% through a smaller plate so the gaps between the larger pieces get filled with ground meat... You still get the tooth texture from the larger hunks while shrinkage from air pockets is significantly reduced.. Also, air pockets can be a breeding ground for bacteria..

Hey Dave - I'll take some pics this afternoon and upload them. The dimensions are 4'x8'x6' tall. Corners are concreted in the ground - all the rest is 2x4's, sheet metal and screws. I use a propane jet burner for heat, and wood for smoke.

IMG_2424.JPG
Two thermometers
Small pitch to the roof, to help keep smoke inside.
IMG_2425 (1).JPG

IMG_2426 (1).JPG
The 2x4's are grooved to accept my racks - sausage hangs from rebar across the smoke shack. IMG_2427 (1).JPG
Concrete blocks for the floor, the cast iron pot holds the fire pit with desired smoking wood off the ground. IMG_2428 (1).JPG
I'm in the process of building a smoke box for outside the smoke shack, to keep from opening the door as much.

Everything's looking good... just wondering what kind of sausage was made ?? Also... I'm assuming your using cure #1 or tenderquick since cooking at low temps ?? I am also assuming you mix/stuff/cook (your description) without any kind of rest for curing ?? just a few things that entered my mind while reading your procedure ...

Nice smoker... My buddy built a smoker with the firebox on wheels... The wheels fit into a steel tracks... He rolled it in and out of the smoker through a small door... Never did have to open the door... all the "locations" where the meat was hung had remote thermometers... His wife ran the smoking meats business while he was at work.. She didn't want to smell like smoke all the time... Slickest smokehouse I have seen except for the BIG commercial smokers...

Everything's looking good... just wondering what kind of sausage was made ?? Also... I'm assuming your using cure #1 or tenderquick since cooking at low temps ?? I am also assuming you mix/stuff/cook (your description) without any kind of rest for curing ?? just a few things that entered my mind while reading your procedure ...

Since I'm Cajun and it's a family recipe, I'd say it's Cajun style, smoked pork sausage. For me - it's just pork sausage - my everyday links. Yes sir - cure #1 is used. The only amount of rest given is however long it took to get from my buddies to my house to smoke it, maybe an hour. I'll be making andouille this week/weekend, and I plan on stuffing that Thursday evening and smoking Saturday afternoon when i get off work.

Reactions: HotBox
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky