Pork Roll...had to try it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You don't really need the ham press for Taylor ham. I just use large diameter Fibrous casings. You can even find muslin casings for a more traditional Taylor ham. I find the fibrous casings to be sufficient.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
You don't really need the ham press for Taylor ham. I just use large diameter Fibrous casings. You can even find muslin casings for a more traditional Taylor ham. I find the fibrous casings to be sufficient.
Exactly what Doug said :) I've made it in fibrous 2.5", 2.9", and 4". Also a poly meat bag. Also the cloth bags. And some spam last night that is pretty much Taylor pork roll without any acid, in a stainless cylinder. Pretty much anything will work!

Reactions: DougE
Not gonna be able to do low salt and still be recognizably a pork roll... the classic and 90% of market, Taylor, is 2.5% salt, and that saltiness along with white pepper defines the flavor. You could make something out of pork with low salt, that your wife might like... but calling it a pork roll won't make it one. Without the salt, you approach a coarse baloney, basically.

However, I think you could make a spam thing and be OK. This is like spam but with a bit more sausage texture, less gel.

I don't know what your sodium goal is for your wife, but knowing that would be helpful--tons of folks have sodium or blood pressure issues, and knowing what amount of salt is still OK for them would help all of us who might consider making such a product. Your post is the first I ever heard about a medication to counteract sodium and that it has a known limit.

In any case, you'll need to boost other flavors to counteract low salt. I recently experimented with doing that for pork roll. Here is what I would do, for 1kg block.
Forum owner doesn't want out of forum links, so I just copy pasted a long thread I posted at another forum here.

I would use that recipe with it's spice profile, but remove MSG and lower salt to what you want. But you need at least 1% salt for the strong protein extraction needed... most sausage is 1.5 to 2% salt.

Here is pic of spices to get you interested enough to open a new tab and go look. I do think you'd have a good spammy pork roll thing still that your wife would recognize and enjoy!

I target about a 1% salt level in my sausage. I change the spice levels a bit, but reducing sugars unmasks the salt flavor and many of my coffee club (guinea pig taste testers) have no idea it is a low sodium (and low sugar) product. Maintaining the protein bind is the tricky part especially when I smoke my fresh sausage.
After reading and thinking this out, the best I can hope to achieve is a lower salt product than "out of the can", but not anywhere near the 1% I get in fresh sausage.

A bit dramatic on the HBP meds, but a person on a low salt diet that has an extremely salty meal will pay the consequences for a couple days.

Appreciate the searching you did for me. I had read those posts, too.
Just curious if pork roll

My last side bar post in respect to SherryT SherryT to keep the integrity of her thread.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
LOL! I hear ya!

When I joined this forum (late 2017-ish IIRC), I didn't have a smoker, grinder, stuffer, slicer, press, SV, flat top, or anything other than a grill (and even that got replaced by a Smokey Joe...which meant SJ-sized gadgets and hacks).

AND...as soon as I get this whole flat top-thing squared away, I plan on dipping my toe (my little pinkie-toe, mind you!) into fermenting/dry curing...got a lot more research to do first.
When i joined, i had a manual grinder and a smoker made of plywood....

Now I have a 20lb LEM motorized stuffer, a 5lb LEM manual stuffer, a kitchen aide stand mixer. kitchen aide food processor, an electric grinder, a slicer, a propane smoker, an electric smoker, 2 SV devices, Inkbird temp and humidity controller, food saver vac sealer, 2 turkey fryers, an All American 921 pressure canner, presto 23 quart pressure canner, camp chef explorer propane stove, cast iron pans and dutch ovens.........

It never ends!

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT and DougE
When i joined, i had a manual grinder and a smoker made of plywood....

Now I have a 20lb LEM motorized stuffer, a 5lb LEM manual stuffer, a kitchen aide stand mixer. kitchen aide food processor, an electric grinder, a slicer, a propane smoker, an electric smoker, 2 SV devices, Inkbird temp and humidity controller, food saver vac sealer, 2 turkey fryers, an All American 921 pressure canner, presto 23 quart pressure canner, camp chef explorer propane stove, cast iron pans and dutch ovens.........

It never ends!
I have a gas smoker, a Big Chief (which I'm using today to smoke bacon), and a modded ECB (my 1st), but what I "want" is a MES.

One day!

At least our "must haves" are mainly to improve the quality of what we are eating.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky