Pork is so versatile

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I love all meats but i believe pork is unique considering how many products/dishes can be made into.

These are all pork products, each has its own taste/texture (crackers, pickles and saurkrsut are not obviosuly). And we didn't even get to the main course.

20180218_151211.jpg

20180218_152525.jpg

Reactions: paul nj shore
Man I haven't even started to tap into pork universe. Atomic, what's in the dip bowl?

Chris

It is mind boggling how pork can have so many different tastes etc from the same animal. You can always tell beef is beef. Chicken is Chicken. Pork? I've had pork liver pate I wouldn't have guessed was pork. Cured meats that I couldn't say were pork like at all.

It's astounding what time and effort can turn pork into beyond pork chops!

This thread is making me want to smoke a pork loin again.

I did buy a butt yesterday, and I intend to grind it. This is another example of pork versatility: Season the ground pork with the usual sage-salt-pepper breakfast sausage recipe, and that's fine on its own, but it can also be a base for a meaty pasta sauce.

I usually fry up the ground pork, with onions, and a fennel-type "Italian seasoning" and then I make a sauce from plain tomato sauce or paste and an oregano-based Italian seasoning, to contrast against the fennel flavor of the pork.

That sage pork can also be a base for something Mexican. Fry it with cumin and chile powder of your choice (oh there are so many choices) along with some kind of sauce, then use that in tacos or burritos or nachos or chili.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky