Pork Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markh024

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Chicagoland
Hi gang, got some butts going and they're "looking" fabulous. I'm close to the 4 hour mark (20min to go)and I'm only at 113* on the smaller one, and 108* on the bigger. I'm not going to hit 140* in that safety zone. My concern is that I injected and this is dragging. The smoker has been at 225 for the first 3 hours then I ramped it up to 250 for the past 40 min. Ride it out out or whats the emergency save here? If i didn't inject I wouldn't be so concerned. TIA
Butts.JPG

Shoulders.JPG

What did you inject? 140 in 4 is a useful guideline but not a line in the sand between keep or toss. Another hour or so should be all right. Raise the temp to 275+ and get up to 140 asap, then back down if you wish. Injecting something acidic like Apple juice gives some insurance. So does salt like a brine. Was the pork vac-packed or did you wash or rub the meat before injection?...JJ

it's just a guideline, a general rule of sorts, go with your gut, did some research, people panic with two hours in the danger zone, 4 is mostly what we discuss, others say should be good until the extreme-danger zone at 6 hours. if it takes 4 1/2 hours to get to 140, I wouldn't freak out. it's not like the meat will go bad to exacty 4 hours if it's not at 140.

Chef Jimmy , Injected with DrP Cherry. I washed, mustard, rub, injected last night. went straight from fridge to smoker. I've done many cooks, these just seem to be taking long. First time injecting a butt though. Pork was cryovacced (see first image)

No need to worry. Dr.Pepper is acidic. Washing removes a lot of bacteria. The Mustard is HIGHLY acidic and the salt in the rub can dehydrate, kill, many types of bacteria. That Butt was well sanitized before injection...JJ

Reactions: markh024
Thank you sir. I feel much better hearing it from you as I follow most of your posts. Thanks again!

*FYI - butts are lookin beautiful with great color.

You are welcome. Your Butts are developing a nice color. Good job keeping an eye on progress and worrying about safety...JJ

Looks great. Im glad it turned out great and it was nice having you in Chat this morning. Like

Reactions: markh024
Thats a couple of fine looking tins of PP.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky