Pork butt tenderloin?..money muscle?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jimbo9414

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2018
20191031_171843.jpg

Saw this at the store...is this the money muscle or a part of the tenderloin?

It’s hard to say. The package says “fillets” as in plural. So there may be a few chunks of meat in there, or steaks cut from a pork butt.

Only one way to tell did you end up buying one? I hate misleading and deceptive titles.

Reactions: Jimbo9414
$5.99 a pound , everyday ! LOL I guess so .
I just read something that said it's medallions packed together .
Better be good / great for 6 bucks a pound pork .

Reactions: Hawging It
$5.99 a pound , everyday ! LOL I guess so .
I just read something that said it's medallions packed together .
Better be good / great for 6 bucks a pound pork .
Right!!..pricey for tenderloin, but would pay that for a money muscle every now and then...had me confused as to what it actually is. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for clearing that up.
I'm just lookin it up and reading . Pretty interesting . Has to do with the " IBP " brand . Iowa Beef Processors . Also had pork products .
Anything to do with unions and the mob I find interesting .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBP,_Inc.
After some reading , for 10 bucks a pack , I would try it out . Just expect " cuts " I bet it's good quality tender meat .

What you have are the butt ends of the tenderloin. It's larger than the rest of the of the muscle so it's trimmed off. that way, when they package the tenderloins they get that evenly shaped piece of meat you see in the stores.

I found this on the web;
butt tender.jpg

Last edited:
You gotta love when they charge more money for a byproduct of the cleaning up butchering process. It would be a hard pass for me, we pay $2.50-$3.50 for tender loin and $1.50 - $2.50 for lion and $0.99 - $1.50 for butts or picnics.
$6.00 a pound for anything on a hog is insane in my opinion, I hope they are screaming good.:emoji_fingers_crossed:

Reactions: Hawging It
Easy pass for me. Safeway’s meat department manager must be trying to pad his bonus. Twin pack of four tenderloins at Costco $1.88# with $3 off per pack in Knoxville.

I thought they might be Tenderloin Butts. The question is, Why? Here, every other week, a 2 pack of Pork Tenderloins is $3.50 a pound, about $6.00 to $8.00 a pack and they are BOGO!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky