1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pork Butt - Temp/Time estimate?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by illini40, Feb 16, 2019.

1. illini40

illini40 Smoking Fanatic

Hello

It has been a long time since I’ve smoked a pork butt for pulled pork. I’ve got an almost 6lb bone in butt thawing out.

If running the grate temp around 250*, should I plan for a little over one hour per pound (around 6 hours of cook time)? Or, longer?

I plan to wrap and rest before pulling.

2. drunkenmeatfist

drunkenmeatfist Meat Mopper

I would just suggest giving yourself an extra hour or two. Never know what the meat will want to do, but once its done you can hold it in the cooler for quite a while.

3. Shootr

Shootr Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

I'm currently 7 hours in on a 6lb one at 225, it's still at 160F. Been stalled for almost 2 hours now. As above, you never know what the meat will do.

4. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Remember, it's going to do what it's going to do....
    Because, after all, it is a Butt.

5. illini40

illini40 Smoking Fanatic

Thanks everyone. Yes - I realize you never know, but was just hoping to confirm a really rough timeline to base off of.

6. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

My guess is that it will take closer to 8-10 hours at 250.
    Crank it up to 275-300 and you’ll be looking at closer to 7-8 hrs.

Depends on how consistent you are able to keep your temps really.

And if you foil that will speed up the time too!
    I’ve started cooking with an aluminum pan under the butts to catch the juice and reuse.

7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

In practice, I've seen 1.5 hours per pound at 250°F. I also plan an extra 2 hours just in case something goes wrong or I get a stubborn hunk of meat...JJ

8. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'd say it depends on how thick the butt is and how thick a fat cap you leave on. A thick 6# Butt, with a big fat cap will take longer to cook than a thinner 10# butt with a trimmed fat cap...