Pork butt sizes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kdfiter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Wi
Just wondering for catering large events what size pork butts does everyone prefer..I was just thinking for time wise

They run 8-10 pounds. How big they are when you smoke them is YOUR choice. You have the time, smoke whole. At 225, they run about 2 hours per pound. Time is short? Cut into 4-5 softball size pieces. You can cut that time almost in half. Still need it faster, smoke the pieces a couple oF hours and place in a covered pan with apple juice for an hour at 325...JJ

Ok thanks guys .I'm doing a fund raiser for a friend that has diabetes pretty bad in a few weeks ..not sure how many butts I was going to do yet but I was thinking posible 8 to 10 ..still uncertain on how many people will turn up

Here are some numbers to think about...
80 lbs raw X .5 yield = 40 lbs Pulled Pork X 16 = 640 oz / 5 oz Sandwiches = 128 Nice Size Sandwiches or 160 Decent Sandwiches of 4 oz each. You will have up to 10%, 12-16 more sandwiches depending on actual loss, how heavy you trim, how much they shrink and so on...JJ

Reactions: lpbg and kdfiter
So for future reference..when figuring out how much per person I thought it was a half pound per person ..so with 50% shrinkage would you do a pound per person instead ..

Half pound would be a Giant Sandwich. 8-10 oz portions are for Plated or Boxed Dinners with 3 Sides. The Classic Meat an' Three.
4-5 oz is a common Sandwich size...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
Also, don't confuse Raw Weight and Finished (cooked) Weight. 8 oz Raw will yield 4-5 oz Cooked. Some will say, " Three Sandwiches per Pound." That's One Pound Pulled Pork, not one pound Raw Butt. 4oz Pulled fits a standard Hamburger Bun. 5 oz goes well on the slightly larger Sandwich Buns...JJ

Ok ...thank you for the info ...I'm actually reading some past post that you have answered about shrinkage

The shrinkage is between 40 and 50%. Portion size has to take the event into perspective. PER PERSON...Plated, 8-10 oz Pulled Pork. Hamburg Bun, 4 oz. Sandwich Bun, 5oz. Ladies Luncheon 3-4oz, Super Bowl, all men, 8-10 oz on 2 sandwiches. Self serve, mixed crowd 6-8 oz. You have to consider if the Pork is the only Protein, go heavy. Multiple meats and heavy sides, Mac 'n Cheese, you can go light.
What is your plan for service? Are you Selling to raise money or just providing food?...JJ

Well my buddy hasn't got back to me yet on if I should sell or just provide food ..this all came about last night as he knew that I just built a trailer smoker ..so the smoking food part just came up ..I thought seeing it was a fund raiser that selling sandwiches would be the way to go instead of providing ..I havnt thouggt of any prices to sell them for yet ..I would just price it the same as some other bbq places but there really isnt anything around my area ...but i was thinking making some slaw and either beans or just bags of chips ..I figure I would buy the meat as my donation to him ..

Determine all your Cost Per Portion. Meat, Coleslaw, BBQ Sauce, plates, napkins, everything. You then Multiply by 3 to determine what to Sell at. From this point you can donate All or a Portion of the Profit, your only cost is Time and Fuel. Any other way, you will have Our of Pocket Costs. Of course if you feel really Generous, donate the whole Nut...JJ

Put up a BIG SIGN that you are Donating the Profits. This way if you are a little higher then the next guy, people don't mind spending the extra for a good cause.

Thanks for all the great info ..I'm not doing brisket but do you figure brisket the same

Yep but only a 40-45% loss on a Packer, less fat to render...JJ

Here's JJ. Don't know anyone who could explain it any better. Have you done any large cooks before and you stated you just built this trailer smoker are you use to it?

Warren

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I havnt done any large cooks yet this will be my first real big 1 ..I've done cooks on my smaller cookers for around 20 people or so ..I used my new 1 about a half dozen of times and I havnt loaded it up full yet ..ive been wanting to load it up with food ..but I would have so much left overs I wouldn't know what to do with it all

Thank Warren...JJ

Thanks guys...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky