Pork Butt on my new cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wmarkw

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Evans, GA
Picked up a char-broil double chef water smoker last week. Got it seasoned up on Satuday and broke it in w/ a 7lb pork butt and some ABTs on Sunday. I love my smoke vault but I had a blast cooking w/ live fire. I've done a few webber kettle smokes but this was my true initiation. Used the minion method w/ briquets and used hickory chunks. Smoked it until it reached 165 deg or so then I threw it in the 235 deg oven to finish it up as I ran low on fuel. Took around 12 hours total. I had to pull the pork last night, which was a pain so it had a little extra grease on the pork but tasted awesome.

I learned a lot on this smoke and made some notes and I'm ready to fire it up again.

Looks like good stuff Mark! Congrats on the new toy!

When you get a chance, maybe you can describe how it operated for ya . . .

Wow, that looks good, Mark! I will probably have to stick with the vault as it's just my wife and I to cook for. She doesn't care that much for smoked foods, so I'm afraid I have to be a one smoker guy.
biggrin.gif

The cooker did great. I need some work on my coal management as I think I started w/ too many lit briquettes which ignited my un-lit coals sooner than I would have liked. I was running hot for a couple hours, 275+ but considering pork butt is a somewhat forgiving meat to cook w/ I didn’t panic and eventually it came down to 235-245 and it stayed at that temp for several hours. I did have to tend to it every hour and threw in a few briquettes and a chunk of wood. Plus it was my first go with this one so I was hovering over it and fiddling w/ the vents, etc trying to learn its quirks. I have a plan of attack for my next cook and I think I can get it to burn for 8+ hours on one load of fuel.

Here is a link for some mods I did:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...9&postcount=28

Nicely done! You just gave me a taste for some ABTs! Perhaps I'll smoke a few myself soon!

Jalopeno stuffed w/ cream cheese (and whatever else you want) wrapped in bacon and smoked for a couple of hours.

Browse the ABT forum for ideas & recipes!

Looks good congrats on the new smoker and the good food coming off of it

How many hours did you cook and at what temp in oven to finish it off ? You know what was the split ? Good Qview ...

Put the butt on around 715am took it off the smoker around 4. Put it in the oven at 235 deg until it reached 195 deg which was around 8pm. Had a stall around 170 for a good hour or so. Let it rest for a couple of hours then pulled the fat cap off. But it was too hot to pull it completely and I was exhausted so did it last night.

I cooked one last Friday night from 10:30 pm to 11:30 am . Had a bad temp stall at 160 for hours . I pulled it from smoker at 195 degrees and you couldn't pull it after it had sat for over 30 minutes . Parts would pull BUT I had to slice most of it . It was a great shoulder saved for me by the butcher @ Albertson's . I think if it had another two hours of smoking it would have been perfect . Great taste was served with homemade slaw .

Looks mighty fine. Glad to hear that things turned out well on the new rig.

Very nice job on everything and congats on the new smoker too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky