Pork Butt HELP!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokerCoach

Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Guys, I'm having an awful time rendering the fat out of my pork butts. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
Just have to deal with it as you break it down.
If it's a pork butt, there WILL be tons of fat.

Reactions: chopsaw
What cut of shoulder are you using? The picnic roast sometimes has a very thick layer of fat on it that I trim off. The Boston butt usually has the fat trimmed off already.

Also make sure you’re taking it to at least 200IT. I take mine to ~203.

Are you cooking for pulled pork?

As mentioned if a heavy fat cap trim down to about 1/4 inch, you'll never render all the internal fat out if you dont want it you'll have to cut it out when your pulling or slicing after it's cooked. If your looking for lean meat you'll need to use the loin, sirloin or fresh ham.

Reactions: binnesman
depends on the cut you have. I trim just about all of the fat off I can so the rub can create more of a bark. Sometimes when you start pulling you will still have a fair amount of fat, I just remove it.

I always try to trim as much fat on the surface and leave about quarter of an inch on top. The butts have so much internal fat you really don’t need much on outside. Like everyone else chimed in it’s okay to remove the fat that did not render it happens.

That is hard to understand, because the butt has so much internal fat and collagen then if you cook it long enough it will all render out. I would shoot for an IT of 205, or until the bone will wiggle out. I would not use a boneless butt. A butt is about the easiest thing to smoke, so it sounds to me like you are just not smoking it long enough. Also when I pull the butt I do it by hand, no bear claws or forks. That way I can pick out any fat that didn’t render & you also should use a finishing sauce. That will take it to the next level. chef jimmyj chef jimmyj & https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork.49892/, both have good ones. Sorry JJ, but I use SFQuer’s , But we all have our own tastes.
Al

Also when I pull the butt I do it by hand, no bear claws or forks. That way I can pick out any fat that didn’t render & you also should use a finishing sauce.
What Al said. I do it by hand also and just pick out what didn't render. I also use the exact same finishing sauce as Al. In fact, the finishing sauce is all I put on my PP when I eat it. I pull it, add finishing sauce, and serve BBQ sauce on the side for those who want it.

See I'm the complete opposite of everyone else here. I guess I'm just werid. I cook my pork butt to bout 175 to 190. I dont do pull pork. I do slices. Comes out perfect everytime. Taste so good. I love the fat. Here is a picture of my pork butt that I do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210526-171008_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210526-171008_Gallery.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 13
Guys, I'm having an awful time rendering the fat out of my pork butts. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Ok let's get a bit more detail so we can help you out. What smoker, what temp is it set to (and have you verified the grate temp), what was the IT when you pulled the butt, how did you let it rest and for how long?

One of the basic keys here is time the butt spends above 175º. As said above, you are looking for an IT of around 200-205º but the next step is to let it rest in a cooler wrapped in towels for at least two hours. It will stay very warm (above 175º) and amazing things (rendering) happen within those two hours. If interest see the butt recipe below in the sig.

Every pork butt that I have done has always had some fat inside.
I smoke my butts to 205. All my smokes are LOOOOOONG smokes too. sometimes over 20 hrs!
Once I get to 205 I will pull the butt and wrap it in aluminum foil and place it in a small cooler to rest.
I let it rest for at least an hour but sometimes longer.
I remove the butt from the cooler to pull it and it will be still HOT!
As I pull the pork I will always have some fat that I will find and I just toss it aside.

Another option...Look for whole but small pork butts, <8 pounds. They are from younger pigs that got to market before putting on fat and will have less internal fat.
Picnic Shoulders, lower leg, are skin on with a thick layer of external fat, but have fewer internal fat pockets to render...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky