Pork belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
What's the going price of pork belly in your areas? I have found it anywhere from $4.99 to $6.99 a pound. Of course I know different areas will have different prices. Just wondering.

Jim

I was floored last week when I stopped at Costco to get some for bacon. I'd been paying $1.79 a pound for it and last week it was $3.99 a pound. Bought three bellies at just over 34 pounds total and about hit the floor when I got to the checkout. Still though, it's cheaper than buying junk store bought bacon.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
I was floored last week when I stopped at Costco to get some for bacon. I'd been paying $1.79 a pound for it and last week it was $3.99 a pound. Bought three bellies at just over 34 pounds total and about hit the floor when I got to the checkout. Still though, it's cheaper than buying junk store bought bacon.

Robert
Doesn't surprise me. Prime brisket was around $3.49 here, now $5.49.

Heading to Costco maybe later today for brisket. Will see what pork belly is priced at.

What's the going price of pork belly in your areas? I have found it anywhere from $4.99 to $6.99 a pound. Of course I know different areas will have different prices. Just wondering.

Jim
See my comment above, but what are you using it for? The very good Texas barbecue place up here in Plainfield, IL, Station One Smokehouse, has a fantastic pinto beans with pork belly side dish that I want to try to replicate.

See my comment above, but what are you using it for? The very good Texas barbecue place up here in Plainfield, IL, Station One Smokehouse, has a fantastic pinto beans with pork belly side dish that I want to try to replicate.
I'm wanting to try my hand at bacon. And that side dish sounds great!

Jim

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Pork belly prices are through the roof, so I just make my bacon with pork butt. I like the flavor & the fact that it is much leaner. Buckboard bacon rules!
Al
Yeah that is what I'm thinking especially as a learning experience. Was just wondering about belly prices in different areas.
Jim

Just called one of my meat suppliers here at work just to see what bellies would cost us just for giggles, he told me he can't even get them so he couldn't give me a price. So I would say there is a little shortage going on.

For whatever reason, it dropped from $6 to 5/lb at the butcher shop in town for me.

It's significantly cheaper if I drive to the city and go to an Asian grocery, or some Hispanic ones.

$4.65 a lb at the Chefs Store here right now. It wasn't that long ago I got them for $1.99 a lb when they had them on their hot sheet.

I'm wanting to try my hand at bacon.
Yup . Grab a pork butt . For me , some work better than others . I look for one that the fat cap side is fairly even . So when I trim that off it " looks " like a slab of belly bacon .
20180908_081902.jpg
20180908_201043.jpg
20180611_093846.jpg

I haven't bought one since March and it was higher than last year, but the tomatoes are coming on and we're going through some bacon.
I'm planning a Costco run next week and I'll get it no matter what it costs because I don't want to run out.
EVERYTHING is higher now and that's just the way it is.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky