Pork Belly with Mustard & Vinegar Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2018
Boston, MA
I took my first stab at a BBQ pork belly today in my MES. It took about four hours in the smoker to reach 160° at a smoker temperature that hovered between 225° and 250°. I used a 4 pound pork belly and scored it on both sides before applying a simple pork rub.

Here is the rub:
-2 tbsp of brown sugar
-2 tbsp of salt
-2 tbsp of paprika
-1 tbsp of garlic powder
-1 tbsp of chili powder
-1 tbsp of cumin
-1.5 tsp of black pepper
-1.5 tsp of ground mustard
-0.5 tsp of white pepper
-0.5 tsp of cayenne pepper

I also made a Mustard Vinegar sauce to serve it with which is the following recipe and made into a thick sauce by whisking it in a sauce pan over medium heat. This recipe makes 4 cups of sauce:
-2 cups of ketchup
-3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
-1/2 cup of dijon mustard
-1/2 cup of beer
-1.5 tsp of red pepper flakes
-1 tsp of black pepper
-1 tsp of white sugar
-1 tsp of onion powder
-0.4 tsp of salt

The mustard vinegar sauce has a great tang to it and the pork belly came out with quite a kick from the peppers in the rub. These were not original recipes. I got them in the book "Project Smoke" that was given to me recently.

The pork belly turned out pretty tender and was rested for 30 minutes before serving. Next time I may leave it in a little longer to make it even a bit more tender than it was though. I used some hickory wood chips along with the pitmasters blend of pellets in my A-MAZE-N pellet tray. Here are some pictures of the pork belly and sauce.

20190117_160633.jpg 20190117_164049.jpg 20190117_164421.jpg 20190117_160645.jpg

Attachments

• 20190117_160633.jpg
    20190117_160633.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
I took my first stab at a BBQ pork belly today in my MES. It took about four hours in the smoker to reach 160° at a smoker temperature that hovered between 225° and 250°. I used a 4 pound pork belly and scored it on both sides before applying a simple pork rub.

Here is the rub:
-2 tbsp of brown sugar
-2 tbsp of salt
-2 tbsp of paprika
-1 tbsp of garlic powder
-1 tbsp of chili powder
-1 tbsp of cumin
-1.5 tsp of black pepper
-1.5 tsp of ground mustard
-0.5 tsp of white pepper
-0.5 tsp of cayenne pepper

I also made a Mustard Vinegar sauce to serve it with which is the following recipe and made into a thick sauce by whisking it in a sauce pan over medium heat. This recipe makes 4 cups of sauce:
-2 cups of ketchup
-3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
-1/2 cup of dijon mustard
-1/2 cup of beer
-1.5 tsp of red pepper flakes
-1 tsp of black pepper
-1 tsp of white sugar
-1 tsp of onion powder
-0.4 tsp of salt

The mustard vinegar sauce has a great tang to it and the pork belly came out with quite a kick from the peppers in the rub. These were not original recipes. I got them in the book "Project Smoke" that was given to me recently.

The pork belly turned out pretty tender and was rested for 30 minutes before serving. Next time I may leave it in a little longer to make it even a bit more tender than it was though. I used some hickory wood chips along with the pitmasters blend of pellets in my A-MAZE-N pellet tray. Here are some pictures of the pork belly and sauce.

Looks Mighty Tasty, but I'll bet it could be more tender:
It takes longer for it to break down & get really Tender.
I like to take mine to about 190° for slicing, and better yet to about 203° Internal Temp for the Awesome "Pulled Pork".

Below are a couple ---Each done at a different Smoker Temp, but both getting to the Tender Pulled Pork stage:
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (230°--April 23, 2013)
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (265°--Oct 21, 2018)

Bear

I based the 160° off of some of the recipes that I found in a couple books and online but next time I will definitely take it up closer to the 200° range where I do my pork butts. I also want to try to take on some bacon in the near future.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky