Pork belly ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougCA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
Costco has the Swift vacuum packaged boneless pork belly for $4.50 off today and I picked one up. I have never smoked one of these. I have done the smaller trimmed pork belly they sell in the styrofoam once. This piece is 9lbs (smallest I could find). Need some suggestions here. Should I smoke it whole then cut it up? Cut it up in some way then smoke it? a bit of both? What to do? I have plenty of bacon in the freezer and only a small meat slicer so not sure that would work too well for this size.

links to favorite ideas would be great too.

thx

I didn't check the links civilsmoker civilsmoker posted.

I prefer belly (side pork) sliced and braised to add to a meal.

Another favorite is to sear it down in a skillet. Take the grease and make white gravy to cover fresh boiled potatoes.

A popular option is pork belly burnt ends.
Not my favorite due to the amount of processed sugars.

Here are few.
Hickory Smoked Pork Belly Braised in BBQ Sauce with Cracklin Skin
Hickory Smoked BBQ Braised Belly
Asian Braised Pork Belly with Cracklin Skin
Cherry Smoked and Braised Asian Belly
Mesquite Smoked Red Fajita Belly
Scrumptious Pork Belly Burnt Ends
Porchetta
Punked Porchetta and PBBEs
You can just rub and smoke, rub, smoke and glaze, rub smoke and braise in sauce.
You can roll (stuff) it, braid it or coil it.
With the skin-on you can make PB with Cracklin Skin.
You can even turn it into bacon!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing so many ideas. I may cut this up in thirds and freeze some of this and try some different recipes. 9lbs is a lot for one person!

Follow up - This came out ok. The "burnt ends" weren't great as I avoid sugar and couldn't replicate the gooey sauce. They were coated with rub like the slabs, but the slabs turned out better. Next time I'll just do slabs and slice them. Appreciate the ideas!

Reactions: Fueling Around

Follow up - This came out ok. The "burnt ends" weren't great as I avoid sugar and couldn't replicate the gooey sauce. They were coated with rub like the slabs, but the slabs turned out better. Next time I'll just do slabs and slice them. Appreciate the ideas!

Looks great! I also avoid sugar. I do burnt ends with Swerve Brown, butter and sugar free G Hughes bbq. They are the bomb. Everyone eats them and raves whether the avoid sugar or not.

Reminder, sugar is not always table sugar when looking for a sweetener.
Monk fruit, swerve, erythritol, or sucralose are sweeteners that do not hit the glycemic register

Looks great! I also avoid sugar. I do burnt ends with Swerve Brown, butter and sugar free G Hughes bbq. They are the bomb. Everyone eats them and raves whether the avoid sugar or not.
[/QUOTEJeff is a resident expert for (table sugar) alternatives in cooking.

Reminder, sugar is not always table sugar when looking for a sweetener.
Monk fruit, swerve, erythritol, or sucralose are sweeteners that do not hit the glycemic register
Yes, but they don't react the same way with heat as sugar does. Not sure if carmelize is the right term?

excellent to hear. what is your mixing ratios?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky