Poor Mans Prime Rib. (AKA SV’d Chuck Roast for 48 Hours)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Poor Mans Prime Rib. (AKA SV’d Chucky for 48 Hours)

It’s been awhile since I’ve done one of these, so let’s get it going!!!
First, I give it a pack of Lipton Beefy Onion powder in the bag before I seal it up.
I did that with a few of these, and froze them so they can wait their turns.
This one was 3.76 Pounds when I froze them, and since I already seasoned it, I won’t have to thaw it.
I put it in partially thawed this time, because I almost forgot about it until it was time to start.
So I gave it 48 Hours @ 132°, because that has been the best time & Temp for every Chuck I did that way.
Some will come out fine in 24 or 30 hours, but if you use those hours on one of the tougher ones,
It won’t be so good. And since you don’t know ahead of time which ones are the tough ones, it’s best to do them all for 48 hours.

Then I removed it from the Bag, and toweled it dry, and seared both sides in a Hot Frying Pan, and got the Low Spots & Edges with my Propane Torch.
Then I sliced enough for Supper, and we added some Green Beans & Spanish Rice on the plates.

After Supper, I sliced the rest & I’ll add what happened after that to the Captions above each Picture.

Thanks for dropping by,

Bear

One 3.76 pound Chuck Roast purchased a couple months ago:
IMG_7575.jpeg

Sealed with Lipton Beefy Onion Mix & Frozen:
IMG_7576.jpeg

In the Rack, ready for My Sous Vide Supreme:
IMG_7577.jpeg

Fresh out of Sous Vide:
IMG_7578.jpeg

Searing All Sides in Pan & with Torch:
IMG_7579.jpeg

Seared & Ready for Slicing:
IMG_7580.jpeg

Sliced just enough for Supper for 2:----FORK TENDER !!
IMG_7581.jpeg

Bear's First Supper, with Green Beans & Spanish Rice:
IMG_7583.jpeg

The rest sliced & in lidded container for Fridge:
IMG_7584.jpeg

Cut a couple slices up & start a Sammy:
IMG_7585.jpeg

Second Night Hot Roast Beef Sammy with Gravy:
IMG_7586.jpeg

Heating up some leftover slices:
IMG_7587.jpeg

All Hot & Bubbly!
IMG_7588.jpeg

3rd Night's Supper, with Spanish Rice:
IMG_7589.jpeg

Good lookin meal . I tried the 48 hour soak , and it was to much for me . Might have been that cut of meat I had .
Nice color on that as Jake said .

Some great looking plates there John, big Like! I'm a fan of the 48-50 hours soak, seems to get the chucky right where I want it. RAY

I like the Rack. I kind of been stuffing my bags in crossing fingers they don’t float. Do you trim the gray part off or is it ok to eat. I have only ever sous vide stuff I have previously bbq and froze. Works. Great for that. Nice job by the way

I like the Rack. I kind of been stuffing my bags in crossing fingers they don’t float. Do you trim the gray part off or is it ok to eat. I have only ever sous vide stuff I have previously bbq and froze. Works. Great for that. Nice job by the way

Thank You FB !!
If you're talking about the Gray Powder in Pics #2 and #3, that's just the Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix, and during the 48 hours in Sous Vide, it dissolves into the meat juices & seasons the whole Roast.

Bear

John,
I can't remember the last time I had an open face roast beef sandwich smothered in gravy.
Your's looks delectable for sure.

Stu

Awesome stuff Bear! I’ll have to try this. Like flatbroke flatbroke said I love the rack too. I usually do my stuff in a big stock pot. I need to get a rack like this to hold down floaters.

Your second nights supper has my name written all over it. Open faced sammies are my favorite.

Point for sure
Chris

• Love
Reactions: negolien
John you nailed that chuck! Beautiful color inside and out

Thank You Jake!!
Appreciate that !!

Bear

Good lookin meal . I tried the 48 hour soak , and it was to much for me . Might have been that cut of meat I had .
Nice color on that as Jake said .

Thank You Rich!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Can't argue with those results! Looks great. Does the Weight or Thickness determine the SV Time, 3 vs 5 pound roast, 2 inch vs 4 inch thick?...JJ

Reactions: negolien
Can't argue with those results! Looks great. Does the Weight or Thickness determine the SV Time, 3 vs 5 pound roast, 2 inch vs 4 inch thick?...JJ

Thank You Jimmy!!
I would say on small things like Steaks, Chops, etc the thickness affects the length of time needed, like in Baldwin's Pasteurization Charts.

However for some of these Beef Roasts, they have their own stories: Through experimentation I've found that most Chuck Roasts will be tenderized @ 24 hours, but some of them will have areas within that is still tough, and doing it for 48 hours takes care of that. So I do them all for 48 hours, because I can't tell which ones are going to be the tough ones. So far I have not had any that were mushy from SVing too long.

Then an Eye Round is different, because the problem is not Gristle, like in the Chuck Roast. The Eye Round is simply Very Lean, and Tenders up nicely in 21--24 hours.

Temperature has little to do with the long term timing of these large roasts. Temp is more for how well you want it done. For instance, for slicing, I do my Chuckies @ 132°, but for pulling, I do them @ 165°.
Much like taking a Chucky to 140° for slicing, and 203° for pulling, when Smoking.
Hope I explained that Good!

Bear

Last edited:
Some great looking plates there John, big Like! I'm a fan of the 48-50 hours soak, seems to get the chucky right where I want it. RAY

Thank You Ray!!
Yup---I agree!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

John,
I can't remember the last time I had an open face roast beef sandwich smothered in gravy.
Your's looks delectable for sure.

Stu

Thank You Stu!!!
LOL---I get a lot of practice on Hot Roast Beef Sammies with Gravy!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky