Poor Mans Porchetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spudthegreater

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
Wanted to do a Porchetta, a REAL one with Rine and all from a Pork Belly, but Id have to order it, take two weeks and explain to my wife why I'm blowing $50 on another smoking experiment. So I pulled out a half loin with a fat cap, butterflied it, put a Porchetta rub on it, tied it up and bagged it for 48hrs. Then i slow smoked it at around 170F until internal was 150. Took it out, wrapped it, cranked temp to 500, put it back in for 5 mins, flipped it and did 5 more mins. I used Ciabatta bread for the sandwich bread. putting djion mustard on one side and green roasted medium hot salsa verde on the other. Sounds like it should work and looked awesome, but it was a bit too much of a kick heat wise being the rub had pepper flakes ground into it. 🔥
Here is the rub recipe, I'd cut back on the pepper flakes and skip the salsa verde and mustard next time. Sometimes less is more
Recipe for rub:
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons toasted fresh rosemary, chopped
2 teaspoons toasted fennel seed, crushed
2 teaspoons chili flakes
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
zest of 1 lemon
(
20200821_110356.jpg
20200821_110426.jpg
20200821_110451.jpg
20200823_170623.jpg
20200823_170708.jpg
add equal amounts of brown sugar to salt)
Parsley
salsa verde roasted rubbed on meat,
process and rub, then role up. let cure for 24 hrs
use ciabatta bread, Dijon mustard on one side of bread and salsa verde on other with chopped up pork in between

Hey now, that's not half bad looking for a Poorman's Porchetta.
Some license taken with the Salsa Verde, but I'm sure I'd like it... Plus it's Herdez.
The one thing I see missing in your rub is garlic, that's a must've.

I'm betting the sammies are great, I'll take one, please.

Hey now, that's not half bad looking for a Poorman's Porchetta.
Some license taken with the Salsa Verde, but I'm sure I'd like it... Plus it's Herdez.
The one thing I see missing in your rub is garlic, that's a must've.

I'm betting the sammies are great, I'll take one, please.
Yes, garlic should have been used. I do remember thinking that when I was considering which recipe to use. I think I'll modify my next experiment to include garlic, reduce the pepper flakes and reduce the fennel a bit.

Looks good. Would be too spicy for my crew. So I would be cutting back the Red Pepper as well. If you want a close Porchetta experience, even cheaper... A Boned out Pork Picnic Shoulder is a perfect choice. Good amount of fat and a nice portion of SKIN to get the Cracklins that make Porchetta so special...JJ

Looks Great from My Den!!
I'm sure it would need some taming for me, but then I'd love it !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky