Poll: Burnt ends?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Burnt ends?

• Make the burnt ends!

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Do not make the burnt ends!

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KrisUpInSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
I was gifted a full packer brisket for my birthday. I explained how I'd like to make it for this Sunday saying, "when it hits over 190℉ probe tender, I'll separate the flat (wrapped for the cooler) and make burnt ends with the point..." My Uncle responded with a mix of upset and confusion, "What? Why?" Then he seemed opened to the idea...

So, I don't have experience with a packer. I just assumed that's what you do, make burnt ends. And, I just assumed that's what I'd do when I got one. But, I got the impression from my uncle that I might be doing a disservice to the brisket by making burnt ends out of the point. I'd like to understand this better and don't want to ruin the brisket. Can anybody tell me what's what here? I'd appreciate the advice.

Little background: We're not really known for bbq in my part of the country...:rolleyes:. Most grocery stores sell just the flat. Getting the packer required going to special meat store. I haven't had burnt ends before and don't know if my uncle has. Assume none of my Sunday guests have either. Not on menus around here.

Make the burnt ends. You know that bark that gets on the meat when ya smoke it? That perfect bite of fat, meat, and crust? That just oozes flavour? Burnt ends are just that. You can not go wrong with burnt ends Kris :)

PS: Also we got a chat room now you can hang out in. ;)

Make the burnt ends. You know that bark that gets on the meat when ya smoke it? That perfect bite of fat, meat, and crust? That just oozes flavour? Burnt ends are just that. You can not go wrong with burnt ends Kris :)

PS: Also we got a chat room now you can hang out in. ;)

Thanks. I want to make them. They sound so good! Separating the point from the flat just somehow feels like it'd be wrong in some way...lol, maybe because they're hard to find like that.

I'm on a tablet and they took the link away from mobile, so I forget the chat exists and have to go find the link from that thread I saved somewhere bc it's not anywhere else I can find it...

Thanks. I want to make them. They sound so good! Separating the point from the flat just somehow feels like it'd be wrong in some way...lol, maybe because they're hard to find like that.

I'm on a tablet and they took the link away from mobile, so I forget the chat exists and have to go find the link from that thread I saved somewhere bc it's not anywhere else I can find it...
The thing is Kris, most BBQ Gurus do it because Burnt Ends sell for like 10 dollars a pound or more!

Before joining this site (many years ago) I had never heard of burnt ends. We had done literally hundreds of briskets and just made 'chopped' out of the point. Now, I think burnt ends are the only way to go.

I have never had much luck smoking a whole packer...either the point or the flat was perfect. Never both. Next whole packer I do I am going to separate the point from the flat and smoke them individually.

As for burnt ends...my mouth waters at the thought of them. So so good! Let us know how yours turn out. Pictures too!

Many Brisket joints sell fatty or lean. Lean folks get slices of the flat and the fat lovers get the combined slices of point and flat. My wife and I fall in the latter group, maybe your uncle too. We make burnt ends from a portion of the Flat. The point, in my opinion, is too good as is. I cube the thinnest half of the flat, toss in rub and back in smoke for a couple hours then toss with a little sauce and an hour more to Glaze and caramelize...JJ

Many Brisket joints sell fatty or lean. Lean folks get slices of the flat and the fat lovers get the combined slices of point and flat. My wife and I fall in the latter group, maybe your uncle too. We make burnt ends from a portion of the Flat. The point, in my opinion, is too good as is. I cube the thinnest half of the flat, toss in rub and back in smoke for a couple hours then toss with a little sauce and an hour more to Glaze and caramelize...JJ
Thank you. That's interesting. I assumed the point isn't fatty enough for burnt ends and would dry out. Thought point had more connective tissue/collagen to break down than flat does so burnt ends is the way to get you there. Now I've got to consider going in your direction...lol. At what point do you cut part of the flat into cubes? Are flat burnt ends just as good? In fact, I've never eaten sliced point, just flat. Would they be hard to chew or just like flat texture but with more flavor?

kelbro kelbro uncle eddie uncle eddie Thanks. I'm looking forward to making them.

I've got an MES so I'm planning to smoke later for 4 to 6 hours or until I wrap at 160℉ and then bring them in to the oven (because that will be easier for me to manage.) When it hits 200℉ IT, I'm going to hold (wrapped) with the oven at 170℉ until around noon tomorrow. Noon, I'll keep the flat holding but cube the point (or flat, thanks to Chef Jimmy) and put it back in the smoker to be done for 3pm. I'm guessing 16 hours for the 12 pounder and holding for however long is necessary until 3. I've read Franklin holds for 12 hours, so that tells me it's possible.

Flat burnt ends are a bit drier because there is a lot less fat. Connective tissue is about the same. Some of my kids like lean meat. I cut a third or so of the flat for burnt ends, along with the thin portion of the point, the end. The rest gets sliced. The sauce on the burnt ends adds to the moisture. Cut a small portion of the Flat and try it along with cutting some of the point. Got to leave some sliced, tender, super juicy, fatty mixed point and flat for your Uncle...JJ

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Flat burnt ends are a bit drier because there is a lot less fat. Connective tissue is about the same. Some of my kids like lean meat. I cut a third or so of the flat for burnt ends, along with the thin portion of the point, the end. The rest gets sliced. The sauce on the burnt ends adds to the moisture. Cut a small portion of the Flat and try it along with cutting some of the point. Got to leave some sliced, tender, super juicy, fatty mixed point and flat for your Uncle...JJ
Gosh! Thanks! I didn't even think of cutting some off each end! That's perfect!

I like burnt ends, but I also like the point sliced with the flat together. You get some lean , some fat & some juicy point meat.
Al

Thanks for the advice, guys. I didn't have the opportunity to make the burnt ends this time because, between some smoker malfunctioning and oven automatically shutting off and reheating again, the brisket was falling apart.

Attachments

• 954_IMG_20180923_125531.jpg
    954_IMG_20180923_125531.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 975_IMG_20180923_165458.jpg
    975_IMG_20180923_165458.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 20
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky