• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

PLEASE HELP

booplesmoke

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 15, 2016
I have a shoulder on the smoker, it has been stalled at 174 for over 30 minutes. I need to pull it in 50 minutes so it can rest for 30 in time for dinner. Any suggestions??? If it only reaches 180 do you think it will still be moist? I think the ideal temp is about 198 but don't see that being in my future. Also, it is wrapped.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014

I have a shoulder on the smoker, it has been stalled at 174 for over 30 minutes. I need to pull it in 50 minutes so it can rest for 30 in time for dinner. Any suggestions??? If it only reaches 180 do you think it will still be moist? I think the ideal temp is about 198 but don't see that being in my future. Also, it is wrapped.
I think you should have foiled it earlier, Put it in the oven high heat with some foiling liquid

Good Luck

Richie

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
You are only going to be able to Slice at this point. It is done cooking at any temp over 145. So you can ride it out or pull it and rest at any point from now. Cutting into smaller pieces and going in a Foil covered pan with some liquid and a 350 oven will speed things dramatically, if you wish to pull it. But you will need to be in the Oven 1-2 hours...JJ

Last edited:

booplesmoke

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 15, 2016
I foiled after 5 hours not when it hit 174. Oh well.... it is what it is. 183 is what it made it to

slipaway

Meat Mopper
Joined May 28, 2014
When I had a shoulder that I needed to eat, but it wasn't up to temp I did a 2-for.

I pulled that outer pieces and they pulled just fine. When I got twards the middle  I changed my claws for a knife and cut several slices. Not much bark on the slices but I slathered on some vinegar sauce and people ate both cuts (pardon my pun) and loved 'em.

I ended up with a big pile of pulled pork and a plate of some pork slices. As the Chef above says - it is "cooked" at 145....

Good luck..................

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I'm glad to hear everyone liked it!

Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.