PLEASE HELP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

booplesmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I have a shoulder on the smoker, it has been stalled at 174 for over 30 minutes. I need to pull it in 50 minutes so it can rest for 30 in time for dinner. Any suggestions??? If it only reaches 180 do you think it will still be moist? I think the ideal temp is about 198 but don't see that being in my future. Also, it is wrapped.

I have a shoulder on the smoker, it has been stalled at 174 for over 30 minutes. I need to pull it in 50 minutes so it can rest for 30 in time for dinner. Any suggestions??? If it only reaches 180 do you think it will still be moist? I think the ideal temp is about 198 but don't see that being in my future. Also, it is wrapped.
I think you should have foiled it earlier, Put it in the oven high heat with some foiling liquid

Good Luck

Richie

You are only going to be able to Slice at this point. It is done cooking at any temp over 145. So you can ride it out or pull it and rest at any point from now. Cutting into smaller pieces and going in a Foil covered pan with some liquid and a 350 oven will speed things dramatically, if you wish to pull it. But you will need to be in the Oven 1-2 hours...JJ

Last edited:
I foiled after 5 hours not when it hit 174. Oh well.... it is what it is. 183 is what it made it to

When I had a shoulder that I needed to eat, but it wasn't up to temp I did a 2-for.

I pulled that outer pieces and they pulled just fine. When I got twards the middle  I changed my claws for a knife and cut several slices. Not much bark on the slices but I slathered on some vinegar sauce and people ate both cuts (pardon my pun) and loved 'em.

I ended up with a big pile of pulled pork and a plate of some pork slices. As the Chef above says - it is "cooked" at 145....

Good luck..................

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky