Please Help ASAP... Need to Avoid dry Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks guys. This loin came out way better than my last one. Demos you were right it was done a lot faster than I was expecting. It only took about an hour and twent minutes to hit 145* IT at about 275-285. I only did half and it plenty. We had plenty to freeze for later. It didn't have a huge smoke ring but it had a nice smokey flavor. The red chile rub was great. The best part was how moist it was. I injected it using Mapels method excep I add some red chile powder to the injection.

Thanks for all the help. You guys helped make my moms pork loin a huge success.

I didn't get many pics, but here are a few I got before I froze the leftovers.

Thanks guys. This loin came out way better than my last one. Demos you were right it was done a lot faster than I was expecting. It only took about an hour and twent minutes to hit 145* IT at about 275-285. I only did half and it plenty. We had plenty to freeze for later. It didn't have a huge smoke ring but it had a nice smokey flavor. The red chile rub was great. The best part was how moist it was. I injected it using Mapels method excep I add some red chile powder to the injection.

Thanks for all the help. You guys helped make my moms pork loin a huge success.

I didn't get many pics, but here are a few I got before I froze the leftovers.

It looks great Harley.  Be sure to remember that if you cook a whole one next time at the same temperature, it won't take any longer.    Pork loin cook times aren't determined by their weight, but rather, by thickness, chamber temp and starting temp of the meat.

Yeah, I guess I should have smoked the whole thing since I was going to freeze the leftovers anyway. I just wasn't that confident plus I was trying out my new red chile rub. I guess I was a little worried to ruin the whole pice of meat. Now I'm confident and next time will do the whole thing.

Yeah, I guess I should have smoked the whole thing since I was going to freeze the leftovers anyway. I just wasn't that confident plus I was trying out my new red chile rub. I guess I was a little worried to ruin the whole pice of meat. Now I'm confident and next time will do the whole thing.
All good.  Wasn't really going there.  Was more a case of making sure that in the future you didn't go "Hmm, well, I cooked 3.5 lb 1/2 loin last time and it took 80 mins,  so a whole 7lb loin should take just under 3 hours".

Many people get caught up in "How many minutes per pound", and that's not the way it works with loins.  
biggrin.gif

All good.  Wasn't really going there.  Was more a case of making sure that in the future you didn't go "Hmm, well, I cooked 3.5 lb 1/2 loin last time and it took 80 mins,  so a whole 7lb loin should take just under 3 hours".

Many people get caught up in "How many minutes per pound", and that's not the way it works with loins.   :biggrin:

Thanks Demos I understand your point. I'm glad you pointed that out cause that's probably exactly what I would have thought. Although I would cook to IT It would have been done way early thinking it would take close to three hours for a seven lb. plus loin.

Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks Demos I understand your point. I'm glad you pointed that out cause that's probably exactly what I would have thought. Although I would cook to IT It would have been done way early thinking it would take close to three hours for a seven lb. plus loin.

Thanks again for all your help.
You're welcome.

Thanks Red. I appreciate all you comments and observations. It did come out great and now that I have confidence in pork loin I see quite a few more of these in my future. It seems like a great cut of meat that you can do so many different things with in terms of rubs, injections and different woods. I also see a slicer in my future because slicing that loin by hand was very tedious, and it was only half.

Thanks Red. I appreciate all you comments and observations. It did come out great and now that I have confidence in pork loin I see quite a few more of these in my future. It seems like a great cut of meat that you can do so many different things with in terms of rubs, injections and different woods. I also see a slicer in my future because slicing that loin by hand was very tedious, and it was only half.

Hehe, wait til you find out about stuffing them or roll cutting then wrapping them :-)

See that's what I'm talking about. Now I have to research some stuffings and what roll cutting is. Gotta figure out what to do with the other half for this weekend LOL
biggrin.gif
Here's a short vid that demonstrates butterflying and roll cutting:

To some people, the terms are interchangeable in that they'll call a roll cut butterflying.     There's no shortage of things that you can do with a pork loin once you get into either of these.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky