playdirty fridge build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

playdirty

Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
SE Iowa
Hello everyone, this is my first jump into building a smoker and had some questions about the game plan. I have an old Hotpoint fridge that has the metal and enamel insert. Dimensions are 18x18x36 which i think comes out to be 6.75cf (I think). I have the box, insulation and door pretty much ready to go but have to buy all the important stuff yet. My plan is to go 125 volt route since I already have a 125v 30A plug installed outside my house from the previous owner plugging in his camper. Auber PID controller SYL-2352 and a 110v oven element at the bottom. Amnps mailbox mod. Wondered if this element would be a good choice RPC13-093? originally I was going to go with a finned strip heater but going to use the mailbox mod for my air intake and didnt think i should mount that under the finned heater (with the smoke and all). Also with this PID unit dont have a way of limiting the power to a strip heater. Any help getting this plan all sorted out before i start drilling holes would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
hotpoint 1.jpg
hotpoint 2.jpg
hotpoint 3.jpg
125v 30a.jpg

I'll be watching this build. You just gotta change your choice of beer. Bush light?

Chris

Haha. Yeah, growing up Busch Light was cheap and readily available. Old habits die hard I guess.

Here's that heating element. I'm not sure really what will work or what won't. It looks good at almost 2000 watt and if I'm running on a 30A breaker don't see why it wouldn't work. Any thoughts? Is 2000 watt way overkill for 6.75 cf? Guess id rather have to much than not enough.
Screenshot_20180201-070420.png

Dimensions are 5x11x13 so itd fit at the bottom whereas a fin strip at the same wattage wont.
Screenshot_20180201-123148.png

20181111_081200.jpg
so while I was taking my time to buy all the electrical parts for my 120v setup (so the wife dont get too pissed), I wanted to smoke really bad. Made shelves, installed 4" ss exhaust, and added a fire box from an offset grill. Hope she works good!

I haven't given up on the pid controlled element but this way maybe I can use it till I have scrounged up all the parts needed and will b
20181111_081208.jpg
e more versatile.

well this was my first smoke ever. Baby back ribs. 321 method, should have done a 311 method but turned out very good. I had left the smoker outside over nigh t but even at 18° it came up to 225 in a little over an hour. Very easy to maintain temp.
Snapchat-1301246759.jpg
Resized_20181118_180216_6583.jpeg

I brought it up to temp with a chimney of briquettes. Main source of heat and smoke after that were splits of hickory 6-8" long. Probably went through 3pieces of hickory rounds that were 8-10" diameter. After I wrapped I used a piece or two of lump at a time to keep temp up. Probably a chimney total.

Thanks for the kind words. I thought they turned out very nice for my very first smoke. I would cook them a little less next time though. I think 3 hours on smoke 1 hour wrapped and 1 hour back on would have put them right on target!

the latest creation, beef short ribs. Just salt, pepper and garlic. Smoked a little over 6 hours with home grown hickory. I spritzed with a mix of apple juice and Captin Morgan the last two hours. Final internal temp was right at 200. They were perfect! I need to remember to take more pictures during the entire process instead of just final product.
20190527_170535.jpg
20190527_161321.jpg

Looks great PlayDirty!! And love the fab on the fridge/smoker!! Nice work!!!

Thanks! I love this fridge smoker so much I just got two more to build. Going to give one to my dad and who dosnt need a second!

Reactions: PrairieGeek
This looks great. I have a nearly identical fridge that I am building as well. I have been toying with the same sidebox but was banging my head about connecting. I hadn't thought of bolting it directly on till I saw your pics. Any idea what internal temp would get to with just the smokebox going? I hoping to do cold smoke with it as well.

Also curious, what gauge stainless did you use on the door?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky