Plastic wrap to wrap with?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alsta

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 20, 2021
Perth Amboy, NJ
Morning all,

I follow a smoking group on FB for the MB gravity smokers - Last night I saw an unusual post about someone using Seran (plastic ) wrap after the cook when resting a shoulder. They claimed that it helps maintain heat and juices when holding for an extended amount of time.
Quite a few in the comments said that they did this and it worked well

I figured before I tried something potentially icky that I would check in with those that I know what they are doing.

I don't but a friend of mine does for an hour at least before pulling/shredding. I've never had a problem chowing down the pulled pork he shares.

helps maintain heat and juices when holding
That's my go to for doing briskets . About an hour rest on the counter . As the meat cools it draws the plastic tight to the meat , which I think causes it to pull moisture , some of it condensed steam back into the meat . I actually did it the first time just to keep the grease / juice off my towel . I really liked the effect of it , and have used that on the last 3 briskets , all with positive results .
Cover with plastic ,
20220417_172707.jpg
Then a towel .
20220417_172828.jpg

After resting you can see the plastic sucked down tight .
20220417_175451.jpg
Really added to the tenderness .
20220417_181500.jpg

I wrap in butcher paper and beach towel.
Would think too much heat would escape with just plastic wrap.

I wouldn't be too quick to put it on. Some is made of polyethylene which can have a melt point as low as 220F. If there's any chance (e.g. out of a kitchen oven) you meat could be that hot, I'd wait a couple minutes before putting it on. But I frequently let it get hot and shrink. Adding towels on top keeps the heat in. The fact the wrap is so thin doesn't then hurt a bit.

Chopsaw's pictures, using a pan and the wrap sucking down to it, look ideal.

Reactions: Alsta
I wouldn't be too quick to put it on. Some is made of polyethylene which can have a melt point as low as 220F. If there's any chance (e.g. out of a kitchen oven) you meat could be that hot, I'd wait a couple minutes before putting it on. But I frequently let it get hot and shrink. Adding towels on top keeps the heat in. The fact the wrap is so thin doesn't then hurt a bit.
I wouldn't use regular plastic wrap, either. The kind I use is a commercial grade, bought at a restaurant supply store, and is supposed to be good for up to 400°. I haven't tested it at that temp, but I do wrap pastrami out of the smoker in it to keep the steamy moisture inside. Works like a champ.

...good for up to 400°...
almost certainly isn't polyethylene wrap then but a more expensive Teflon-like product. Anything out of a smoker is going to less than than 400F, but then again sometimes I grill a steak. If meat is sizzling, it's boiling oils, which means it's over 550F. So just a reminder, compared to metals, any plastic is a low temperature material. It's always a good idea to know the temperature of what you're handling and the usable heat range of the tools and materials you're using on it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky