Pizza oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw 12

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
What is the best pellet grill pizza oven attatchment ? They are quite pricey i see. 139 is cheepest ive seen it was a green mtn

I don't know a thing about them but I'd be surprised if anything is much cheaper than that. I could be completely wrong though.

I have a pizza oven so don't know anything about the inserts.
I am unsure if one from manufacturer A will fit/work in Manufacture B's grill.

If your grill goes up to at least 450f you can just get a 3/4" thick baking stone.
These work well --> Fibrament Baking Stone
They can make a custom size if you need one.
I have two that I have used for years.
Primarily for bread in kitchen oven now, but an occasional bar pie too.
Made my first pizza on one in a pellet grill.

Depending on the size of your pellet grill, I got a 16 x 16 1/4 inch steel plate for the oven. Descaled it and then seasoned if does really well in the oven. i do want a pizza oven but since I don’t have a pellet smoker considering the recteq bullseye deluxe which has a pizza kit you can get and goes to 1000 degrees

I have had an Ooni Fyra 12 (12 inch, pellets only) oven for 2 years. I'm struggling with it, but I haven't given up yet. Here are a couple things to keep in mind if you're interested in this oven:
The oven gets very hot, easily reaching 900 degrees F. That's great for cooking neopolitan-style pies which are predominantly dough/crust with few sparse toppings that don't require much cooking.
Temperature is hard to modulate with the damper. That makes it tough to cook a pie where you need to focus on the toppings (that need to be cooked) and the crust separately. Ideally, such a pie should be cooked in a 500 degree oven. I like this type of pie and I've had several failures with the Fyra trying to make them
There are kits available to convert the Fyra to a propane unit, but Ooni doesn't sanction them. Oven temperature is relatively easy to modulate with a propane burner
You can get a "hybrid" unit that will burn wood or propane. They're a bit bigger (16 inch) and a couple hundred dollars more expensive.
The pellets don't impart any smokey flavor to the pie. If I were buying again, I'd probably opt for the 12 inch propane oven​

There are kits available to convert the Fyra to a propane unit, but Ooni doesn't sanction them. Oven temperature is relatively easy to modulate with a propane burner
That's what I did. It works fine. Just don't put the door on when using the propane attachment. All it takes is drilling two small holes to mount it.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
I have a pizza oven so don't know anything about the inserts.
I am unsure if one from manufacturer A will fit/work in Manufacture B's grill.

If your grill goes up to at least 450f you can just get a 3/4" thick baking stone.
These work well --> Fibrament Baking Stone
They can make a custom size if you need one.
I have two that I have used for years.
Primarily for bread in kitchen oven now, but an occasional bar pie too.
Made my first pizza on one in a pellet grill.
Great idea i have a pizza stone already my pit boss goes to 500 higher if i open the sear plate thank you im going to try it out!!

Reactions: 02ebz06
The green mountain is well worth the price. My wife got me one for my Pit Boss and it fits and works perfectly. We use it all the time! I can get up past 700 F on the inside. But if you're looking to save money, a simple pizza stone should work almost just as well.

Still trying to perfect my dough recipe.

Attachments

• Pizza Oven.jpg
    Pizza Oven.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Pizza.jpg
    Pizza.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: chopsaw
The green mountain is well worth the price.
Great looking pizza !
Still trying to perfect my dough recipe.
This is where I've landed for a high temp pizza oven . ( Solo stove Pi-Pizza )
270 grams KA 00 flour
170 grams water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp active dry yeast .
Put the warm water , yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer
When you see the yeast active , add the flour and combine to a loose mix .
Let that rest , mixer off 5 minutes .
Add salt and mix until it comes away from the bowl .
Hold at room temp or in the fridge overnight .
20231020_174305.jpg
20230830_180229.jpg

Reactions: 02ebz06 and gmc2003
Great looking pizza !

This is where I've landed for a high temp pizza oven . ( Solo stove Pi-Pizza )
270 grams KA 00 flour
170 grams water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp active dry yeast .
Put the warm water , yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer
When you see the yeast active , add the flour and combine to a loose mix .
Let that rest , mixer off 5 minutes .
Add salt and mix until it comes away from the bowl .
Hold at room temp or in the fridge overnight .
View attachment 685522
View attachment 685526
Those look great! I've been using the KA 00 as well and it tastes really good, I just need to work on my stretching and presentation haha.

Reactions: chopsaw
I've been using the KA 00 as well
That's basically the recipe on the KA bag , but I upped the flour . . It calls for 232 grams ( or close ) and that's always to wet for me .
need to work on my stretching
You get the right rest on the dough and it almost stretches itself . 🤔 .
It does make it easier to work with . I've started mixing in the morning , and resting at room temp until supper time . I'll stretch and fold it under a couple times during the day . That helps it too .
My Son runs the oven . He's got it figured out .
He also builds his pizza with the cheese on the bottom , the the toppings , then the sauce is dropped on by spoonfuls . Helps the bottom cook in this oven .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky