pitt boss xl brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

acd4476

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Metro Detroit, MI
Did a brisket on the pit boss xl. Rubbed with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. The last one I tried turned out pretty dry when I set my temperature to 250. This time I planned to keep a lower temperature 225 and add a water pan. I've never tried a water pan in a pellet grill but figured I'd give it a go. Full disclosure I realized my pit boss runs hot as I move across from left to right so I set the temperature at 225 and temps ranged from 215 to 290. The spikes were short and only when pellets were added. For the most party I was between 235 and 255. Went on at 8pm, wrapped in butcher paper at 2am with a couple spritzes of apple juice, and was done at 9am with an IT of 196. Coolers it for 2 hours and sliced it up. Turned out amazing and I'll try to repeat this process from now on. Ot sure if the water pan helped but this brisket was tender all the way through. Added a before and after picture. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 48146.jpeg
    48146.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200829_171819.jpg
    20200829_171819.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 48148.jpeg
    48148.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200829_171819.jpg
    20200829_171819.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 48148.jpeg
    48148.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 48146.jpeg
    48146.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 41
We all run different equipment and use different tastebuds. Having your smoking/cooking process nailed down I think is the biggest issue with brisket. Looks awesome

Looks great. Every cooker is unique and takes some time to learn. Looks like you’ve learned well on yours.

Looks like it turned out really good. I'm going to do my first Brisket ever this weekend on my Pit Boss Rancher XL using a pellet mix of Competition, Whiskey Barrel maybe throw in a little Apple and Cherry (Have some small amounts to throw in and clean up). How big was your brisket? Not wanting to sacrifice a huge brisket and cash first time out, I picked up a 5.5lb to try. Had planned on doing a water pan as you did as well.

Looks like it turned out really good. I'm going to do my first Brisket ever this weekend on my Pit Boss Rancher XL using a pellet mix of Competition, Whiskey Barrel maybe throw in a little Apple and Cherry (Have some small amounts to throw in and clean up). How big was your brisket? Not wanting to sacrifice a huge brisket and cash first time out, I picked up a 5.5lb to try. Had planned on doing a water pan as you did as well.
this was just over 11lb. it was a packer so had the point and flat. Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky