Pitmaster Blend BBB..........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chefrob

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 13, 2009
az
first i'd like to thank todd for including me in this test as well as others in the past.....

now for something that i love and have been know to make a little a bit of........BBB!

i have used the AMNS and the AMNPS for some time now and the pellets sure give off a lot of smoke and have cut my smoke times down by 1/3 to get the same smokieness. i would many times run 2 AMNSs or an AMNS and an AMNPS at the same time with 4 ends lit at once. since that has been a baseline i figured i would use that to test the new Pitmaster Blend.

here are 2 units with 4 ends lit..

34be2a95_IMGP1972.jpg

439eaa3a_IMGP1971.jpg

here they are after 8 hrs.........2 at once for 4 hrs and then a single for 4 hrs.

2713981c_IMGP1975.jpg

all sliced up........

5570c0a3_IMGP1979.jpg

at first i thought the 2 at the same time was over kill since the deep color on them kinda scared me after 4hrs in but then i remembered that the mix had cherry and that cherry has always given birds a deep almost mahogany color. i then decided to just do one for the remaining time and i then sealed them for about a week until i could get to slicing them. i opened the package an the smell coming off of them were very nice but noticeably different than my usual smoke blend which is 50/25/25 of todd's hickory/pecan/maple pellets. all in all i thought the aroma was full, the taste of smoke was great but it did seem a little light.  this does sometimes happen when i first slice and fry up my BBB. after it is sliced packaged and frozen for 2-3 weeks we will see how it is again. as far as performance the pellets burned just fine and gave off lots of smoke that smelled good and i would like to see how this smoke is on other meats like brats, chicken, ribs, and i might even do some chz for the first time!

Bro you are the freakin God of Buck Board that is just beautiful. I am waiting for Butts to go on sale so I can get 3-4 so I can do some BBB with the fatty outer 2 inches and PP/Sausage patties with the rest. Two question...How many Butts are pictured? Does 2 Smoke generators, I have 2 AMNPS, make a significant difference? I have never tried 2 units but my family is not crazy about heavy smoke. Of course, hot smoking absorbs more smoke than cold so 2 may make sense...JJ

thx guys.......jj, there are 3 tops of 3 butts. this was the first one sliced, there was another one that actually looked like belly......everyone is dfferent but they all are great for cold smoked BBB.

JJ, when you use one AMNPS do you light both ends..... if not try that first. i will say that with 2 AMNPS lit at both ends there is some heat generated and that is why you see the foil sheild so i don't get a fire going from any rendered grease.

Thanks Rob that makes perfect sense. I have seen 25* rise, over 3 hours, from the AMNPS lit at one end. So I imagine a double lit pair could throw some serious heat. I wonder how high it would go. Do you remember what temps you saw and did you add heat to get to 145*F or so? I am getting more intrigued with the BBB process every time you post your results...JJ

i don't monitor any heat since i don't expect any nor do i want any. i am looking for a cold smoke and i treat my BBB like belly.....i fry it up in a pan with a little olive oil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky