Pit Boss Copperhead ErL error code?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think the 5 year warranty started in sept of 17 , bought mine around may of 17 . not had any problems with sensors or control panels other than a few flakey food temp therms , they were replaced no problems. glad I can pickup parts cheap if I ever have a issue, most of this stuff is plug and play so its not difficult to upgrade is the mood ever strikes me, sorry some folks have had some problems.

I have the pro series, that code popped up on me Christmas morning. I vacuumed it out, unplugged it, reset it and she is all good now!

I have a copper head 5 series purchased 12/15/19 and was on the 5th time to use it. I wanted to run the temp up to 400 and it was holding temp for a few minutes. Then I got the ErL code. I reset the code and tried holding temp around 300 and then ErL code again. After a couple of times at resetting the code it wouldn't reset anymore. So with 2 whole chickens sitting in the smoker I decided to call customer service and they said that if it wouldn't reset then it was a bad controller. They dropped a new controller in the mail and after 6 days I got my new controller. I replaced the controller and did a test run on high and let the temp reach 465 to see if it would throw a code, after a few minutes I decided to try it. After a few hrs of low temp I decided to finish the job with a high temp of 400 and got the code again on the brand new controller. I decided to get a new internal temp probe (on amazon, dreld RTD Smokers PB 39P350 $12.99) and put on the old controller to see if I could trouble shoot the problem and it was working. I did a test run with a oven to see if the controller would throw a code at high temp and it was able to handle the 415 temp and I checked voltage and it was putting out the correct voltage. I say all that to say that it seems the temp probe is the problem even if the customer service says its the controller. Hopes this helps.

Hi All, had the same problem, replaced the control board and the problem still existed. After a bit of communication with PB, they suggested the fan underneath might be jammed as it is common on new grills. I took the cover off (4 screws) and yes it was stiff, so I gave it a few turns and a shot of sewing machine oil and it fixed the issue.

Reactions: firemanast
I thought I should come back and give an update. As mentioned before, I got a replacement temp probe but that didn't fix the problem. So, when all else fails, get a new control panel. Got it yesterday, installed it this morning, and ... no error code. I sat out on the porch during the pre-heat, watching every temp increase, and when it reached 225 degrees, I closed my eyes, not wanting to explain to my wife that we still have a $400 paperweight. When I opened my eyes, it had reached 250 degrees and kept on going. It went all the way up to 350 degrees and held there for about 20 minutes, with only a slight shift in temp. So, at least for right now, I am cautiously optimistic. The true test will come on July 4th! At least it will just be my wife and I.

Although I have a Masterbuilt, I've gotten error codes not in the manual too!
I'm guessing ErL means Low temp error code--it's taking too long to get to your setpoint temp? Left some ideas in this thread.

Good diagnosis Steff3. If the auger isn't feeding pellets, you will definitely err on low temp.
And that's an easy one to check for!
I like to start each cook with all the shields, diffusers, and covers out and make sure I verify all looks good before I put things together and put the meat in.

Reactions: Steff3
Although I have a Masterbuilt, I've gotten error codes not in the manual too!
I'm guessing ErL means Low temp error code--it's taking too long to get to your setpoint temp? Left some ideas in this thread.
From what I understand it means a stuck or jammed auger...
Thanks for the reply. I checked the auger and it seems to be turning. Kinda leaning towards the box temperature probe being defective. Ordered a replacement from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. Ill post an update if it works

Reactions: Steff3
never hurts to have two independent measurements of your cooker's inside temp. An analog temperature dial you drill and mount on the case can be quite useful.

I have been through the replacement of the thermocouple in the back. Used high temp emissions safe engine silicon to seal the bottom and the gaps between the metal below it. That way if i splash anything it wont seep between them.
So far so good
Turned it on a few mins ago and the auger was turning. Push the Prime and it primed. Was not jerking or acting strained. But i did notice a slight hum toward the back. As the auger was working i stepped away.
Came back about 10 mins later to the ERL error and it was not even close to being up to temp.
I know there is a fan under the back. I unplugged the unit and laid under and knocked on the screen that covers it. All kinds of junk and pellets and dust came out from on top of the fan motor. I than assured the fan would turn freely using a butter knife.
Plugged back in. No more hum and so far its working.

Note: i am using a new bag of Kingsford cheery pellets instead of the usual Pit Boss or Traeger so i will keep an eye on it to see if it causes any other ERL errors.

I did buy a probe but by the time it arrived I had just exchanged the smoker at Lowes and new one has worked fine for three smokes so far (up to about 12 hours).

First option would be to swap the unit if possible but if that isn't feasible replace the probe. From everything I've read it seems like that'll fix it and changing the entire control board, as pitboss will suggest, doesn't.

It is really bad that they're dinging their reputation with so many faulty models because the smoker itself, as others have said, when working is awesome. I love my replacement.
The same happened to me. I received the wrong model. fortunately I had ordered it from lowes. I easily returned it as Lowe's return policy was one of the best and there was no issue in returning the product. I just texted the guy at Lowes and he guided me on what to do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky