Pistachio Wood and Olive Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daspyknows

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
el cerrito ca
Went to pick up a 1/4 cord of split almond wood today from a guy on craigslist. He lived in a rural area where houses are going up all around him and we were talking bbq. I told him about this site and we were discussing smoking woods. He mentioned they were cutting down olive and pistachio trees on one of the properties being cleared. I said I wanted a 1/4 cord of each and wondering if anyone had much experience with either. He gave me some elm chunks but research says not good for smoking. With the 1/4 cord of oak from a neighbors tree than fell and the apple I am getting from a friend who has a friend with an orchard I have a 1 1/4 cords of wood for 2024/2025.

Went to pick up a 1/4 cord of split almond wood today from a guy on craigslist. He lived in a rural area where houses are going up all around him and we were talking bbq. I told him about this site and we were discussing smoking woods. He mentioned they were cutting down olive and pistachio trees on one of the properties being cleared. I said I wanted a 1/4 cord of each and wondering if anyone had much experience with either. He gave me some elm chunks but research says not good for smoking. With the 1/4 cord of oak from a neighbors tree than fell and the apple I am getting from a friend who has a friend with an orchard I have a 1 1/4 cords of wood for 2024/2025.
Both pistachio and olive wood are great for smoking. Both very versatile. I have a chord of pistachio, coastal live oak (red oak) and apple. With the pistachio and apple, make sure to knock the bark off, tends to be bitter.

Reactions: daspyknows
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky