Pineapple jerk chicken and grilled cabbage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Unconventional times calls for unconventional dinners. I have really tried to limit my exposure in public with all the recent craziness going around. My job has a high risk of exposure to the coronavirus, so I've basically just been sticking to home and work.

I've been making dinners with what we have on hand, without going to the grocery store. A while back in November, my wife went to Jamaica (Bachelor Week) and brought me back some seasoning and spices.

My Jamaican souvenirs.
IMG_4328.jpg

We had a family pack of chicken breast, pulled two out and froze the rest. I coated them in the jerk seasoning and let them sit for a few hours in the fridge.
IMG_4329.jpg

Chicken was grilled and brushed with the pineapple jerk sauce towards the end of the cook. I also grilled cabbage to go along with our meal. It was some leftover cabbage from St. Paddy's Day. I also used some for Kapusniak that I made last week. This was the last of it. The cabbage was sliced into thick steak slices, drizzled with tx smoker tx smoker garlic infused EVOO and salt and pepper. I drizzled more of the EVOO each time I flipped the cabbage and grilled until tender, about 15 minutes total.
IMG_4334.jpg

Here's the finished meal. I didn't get a plated shot. I sliced the chicken and served over a bed of grilled cabbage with a slice of garlic bread on the side.
IMG_4335.jpg

For not having to go out and buy ingredients, this was very good and filling. The wife loved the grilled cabbage, so I'm sure I'll be doing more of it in the future as a side. Enjoy and stay safe out there.

Joe

Looks Great to me I love that stuff

Gary

Love jerked food, never thought to grill cabbage but 1/2 way afraid to, been cooking Brussel sprouts for years and never had the first reaction to them. till the last time. lordy it was ugly and went deer hunting with a buddythe next day, never seen the first critter and I think I know why, he said you never had that happen before? naw not till now, hell common he said, don't think I have fixed any since. Love them so will again just going to make sure I don't have to go around anybody I like the day after lmao

Never done cabbage. Looks really good! Thx for sharing. On my to do list...

Looks great. I use Island Spice stuff. Good products.

Looks good! Sweet and heat and some grilled cabbage! I'll take a plate! We have been making dinners with what we have on hand as well. You did a mighty fine job with this one! Nice job!

I hope it tasted as good as it looks. Nice job!
The grilled cabbage is something I need to try. Looks like the grilled cabbage is drawing a lot of attention.

Looks Great to me I love that stuff

Gary
Nice meal. Made my mouth water

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Sometimes the best meals are the ones you don’t have to think about.

Love jerked food, never thought to grill cabbage but 1/2 way afraid to, been cooking Brussel sprouts for years and never had the first reaction to them. till the last time. lordy it was ugly and went deer hunting with a buddythe next day, never seen the first critter and I think I know why, he said you never had that happen before? naw not till now, hell common he said, don't think I have fixed any since. Love them so will again just going to make sure I don't have to go around anybody I like the day after lmao

Thanks mike! I’m gassy no matter what I eat...at least that’s what the wife tells me. These were very similar to roasted Brussel sprouts.

Never done cabbage. Looks really good! Thx for sharing. On my to do list...

Thanks Blues! The grilled cabbage was very similar to roasted brussel sprouts, but more readily available at a fraction of the price.

Looks great. I use Island Spice stuff. Good products.

Thanks Adam, the pineapple jerk sauce is pretty good, so that will get used up in no time. Didn’t open the Scotch Bonnet sauce but there’s one made by Grace, walmart carries it. It’s very good.

Looks tasty XR! I’m gonna try that cabbage, I’m a cabbage fan!

Thanks CS! If you like roasted brussel sprouts you would probably like this. I’m a cabbage fan and two heads of it got me damn near 3 weeks worth of meals(corned beef and cabbage, kapusniak and grilled the rest). I used quite a bit of salt and pepper and brushed with oil each time I flipped.

Looks good! Sweet and heat and some grilled cabbage! I'll take a plate! We have been making dinners with what we have on hand as well. You did a mighty fine job with this one! Nice job!

Thanks Travis, it was pretty good for not having to put much thought into it. You could get some interesting dinners with whats on hand.

I hope it tasted as good as it looks. Nice job!
The grilled cabbage is something I need to try. Looks like the grilled cabbage is drawing a lot of attention.

Thanks Steve! I was pleased with it. I’m trying to avoid buying fresh produce because it’s some of the most handled products in the grocery. I kinda felt unsure and unworthy of posting the meal up. But since a lot of attention is being drawn to the cabbage...if some people make it and it stretches a dollar for them and they enjoy it, I guess it’s all good then.

I just got a head of cabbage for slaw, going to try grilling some tonight, Like! RAY

Thanks Ray! If you like roasted brussel sprouts, you would enjoy this. Seems like the cabbage will get you both.

Damn Joe that looks amazing! Like the creativity too. Jerk style is one of my favorites. Congrats on the ride buddy very well deserved!

Joe that is a nice lookin' plate, would eat that up in a second. I like brussel sprouts and do roast fresh ones with balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and garlic.

We bought that same dry spice when we were in Jamaica for our honeymoon. :emoji_slight_smile:

Big Like!

Congrats on the ride my friend.

John

It all looks great! I think I'll try roasting cabbage real soon.

Thanks DN, I appreciate it.

Damn Joe that looks amazing! Like the creativity too. Jerk style is one of my favorites. Congrats on the ride buddy very well deserved!

Thanks John! I really enjoyed the meal. I like jerk style too. I don’t get to eat it all that often.

Wow I love jerk style food. Like your using what you have attitude that's the way I was raised.

Warren

Thanks Warren! I really try to be mindful of ingredients I buy and how I can use them instead of wasting them. I’m glad I have a foodsaver and dehydrator too, so they can see another day. My grandparents lived through the depression era and when the coal industry tanked in PA. They been through some hard times, maybe that’s why I have the same attitude.

Joe that is a nice lookin' plate, would eat that up in a second. I like brussel sprouts and do roast fresh ones with balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and garlic.

We bought that same dry spice when we were in Jamaica for our honeymoon. :emoji_slight_smile:

Big Like!

Congrats on the ride my friend.

John

Thanks John! I appreciate it! I had those spices since November(they came in a little wooden crate) good stuff though.

I thought about using some fresh lemon juice for the cabbage, but didn’t have any. I figured I’d try vinegar if I felt it was lacking. With Robert’s garlic evoo, salt and pepper and the natural sweetness that comes from the cabbage, I was pleased with it.

Wow Joe. Another beautiful and enticing meal. Great creativity and like so many others, I'm intrigued with the grilled cabbage. You got me grilling Romaine lettuce so why not cabbage? Congrats once again on a much deserved ride on the carousel my friend!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky