Pig Head

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ackmack78

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2021
CA
Here goes nothing, but at least it'll be interesting. Got a 15# pig head seasoned and in the fridge ready to go on the Weber smokey mountain tomorrow. Seasoned it with the usual homemade pulled pork rub but no sugar.
Saw these heads last week at Walmart and didn't think too much of it but couldn't get the idea of BBQing one out of my head. Figured why not give it a try. Went back to Walmart and they were out but found another close by in an area with less dense of a Mexican population. Apparently there quite common with Mexicans which is weird because I've never eaten one or even heard of my mom or grandma cooking one up.

The plan tomorrow is 8am on the smoker with some hickory and apple at 225 for a couple hours then finish at 250. Maybe even 275-300 if I'm pressed for time, but I've heard they cook pretty quick. I'm shooting for 195 in the cheek. We're having a late 8pm dinner so I'll probably end up holding it at 160 in the electric smoker before broiling each side in the oven for a few minutes right before serving if the skin needs a little crisping.
Funny ever since I got the WSM the electric has turned into an expensive holding oven.
The wife was not excited for the pig head but really not happy I got 2, but I want to try brining the next one overnight and at 75¢/lb it's cheap eats.

20211117_203539.jpg 20211117_205642.jpg 20211117_205647.jpg 20211117_205650.jpg
Went a little heavy on the seasoning but I think it'll be just fine.

Last edited:
Here goes nothing, but at least it'll be interesting. Got a 15# pig head seasoned and in the fridge ready to go on the Weber smokey mountain tomorrow. Seasoned it with the usual homemade pulled pork rub but no sugar.
Saw these heads last week at Walmart and didn't think too much of it but couldn't get the idea of BBQing one out of my head. Figured why not give it a try. Went back to Walmart and they were out but found another close by in an area with less dense of a Mexican population. Apparently there quite common with Mexicans which is weird because I've never eaten one or even heard of my mom or grandma cooking one up.

The plan tomorrow is 8am on the smoker with some hickory and apple at 225 for a couple hours then finish at 250. Maybe even 275-300 if I'm pressed for time, but I've heard they cook pretty quick. I'm shooting for 195 in the cheek. We're having a late 8pm dinner so I'll probably end up holding it at 160 in the electric smoker before broiling each side in the oven for a few minutes right before serving if the skin needs a little crisping.
Funny ever since I got the WSM the electric has turned into an expensive holding oven.
The wife was not excited for the pig head but really not happy I got 2, but I want to try brining the next one overnight and at 75¢/lb it's cheap eats.

View attachment 516650View attachment 516651View attachment 516652View attachment 516653
Went a little heavy on the seasoning but I think it'll be just fine.

Nice!

I was going to suggest cooking at your higher 300F+ temps so the skin behaves bit if you can get it correct with the broiler then go for it.

There are probably a lot of these available right now in the Mexican grocery stores in an areas with higher Mexican or Mexican/American populations.
Pig heads are traditionally used to make tamales and make the best tamales I've eaten!

They usually get boiled down until everything can come off the head easily. Then once the meat is off and taken from the pot it has more seasoning mixed in for tamale meat.
The water often gets saved to make the tamale dough since the water has all that amazing pork flavor and stock going for it.

With all of that info you may want to take the IT of your pig head to a much higher temp where everything just pulls and shreds right off of it. The 198F temp may not get that done.
I have never smoked a pigs head but knowing how it is cooked and best utilized for tamales, I would shoot for the same concept. Cook until it all easily pulls off and then you can shred and make the most amazing pork dishes with it (sandwiches, tacos, nachos, etc.).

I hope this info helps :)

This should be interesting. Dry Skin is important. Leave it in the refer uncovered a day or so. Use a Sharp Skewer or Meat Tenderizer to punch holes all over the skin. Rendering as much fat as possible gives a crisper skin. Lots of Goodies on a Pigs Head if you're not Squeamish.🐷 The Tamales concept sounds really good. If you bail early, cooking the Head down for Beans, Greens or Soups is still an option. I recently posted a Pozole Rojo thread that a Pigs Head would be Great in, smoked or not...JJ

Reactions: tallbm
And makes the best Brunswick stew ever !
Haven't done one myself in decades but man I do remember the cook and flavor!

Reactions: bauchjw
Alright the hog head is on. Starting out at 225 for 2-3 hours to get some smoke on then I'm going to shoot for 275-300 to get that nice crispy skin. Think I'll see how it goes and let it get a little hotter 200 or so in the cheek on the advice I got here. Would be nice if all that meat just pulls off the bone.
20211118_090718.jpg 20211118_090736.jpg

This should be interesting. Dry Skin is important. Leave it in the refer uncovered a day or so. Use a Sharp Skewer or Meat Tenderizer to punch holes all over the skin. Rendering as much fat as possible gives a crisper skin. Lots of Goodies on a Pigs Head if you're not Squeamish.🐷 The Tamales concept sounds really good. If you bail early, cooking the Head down for Beans, Greens or Soups is still an option. I recently posted a Pozole Rojo thread that a Pigs Head would be Great in, smoked or not...JJ

That pozile looks delicious, I just might have to do that with the 2nd head. I mean that looks really good.
The men around here aren't too squeamish the girls I'm not so sure about. Me and the boy are each taking an eyeball dipped in hot sauce. I'll probably give the brains a small taste, I've heard they don't taste great by themselves. Wife's not thrilled but she's coming around to the idea of jowl meat and the girls will be mortified.

• Haha
Reactions: chef jimmyj
The Pozole is very tasty, enjoy. I hear you on Adventurous Eaters. Oldest and Youngest Girls are willing to try anything. Oldest has made Head Cheese that's was excellent. The Middle Girl and Mom, would not be so quick to jump in on the fun...JJ

Looks great to me. They are delicious. I take mine to 203*ish and pull it. Lots of gelatin in a hog head too. They are great for head cheese or just catch the juices and save for soups and stews. Here is the last one I did on the pellet grill.
4211E839-3892-4C2A-8842-03CDF058190A.jpeg

Looking good! For some reason I have Porky the pigs voice stuck in my head! My wife would not be in the yes camp! Was gonna show her pics but she's eating now so best not lol!

Ryan

That is awesome. I used to eat a lot of lamb heads in the Middle East, cheek was delicious. I’ve had the results of the boiled head, but never thought to smoke one myself. Big likes for creativity and adventure, thank you for sharing this.

Just finished. It took 9.5 hours but I was out Christmas shopping and it sat at 225 for 4 hours instead of my planned 2. Rode 300-325 the rest of the way. I didn't get crispy skin but I don't think the 2 extra hours at 225 was the reason why.

The things is dripping juice everywhere I poke it. The head hit 195 in the deepest part of the cheek poking it from the side straight into the jaw and then pulling back a little. Some parts all over the head were up to 210-212. Going into the cheek inline with the snout like most of the videos I saw the temp hit 195 hours ago so I'm hoping holding out was worth it. The snout real dark, probably should have foiled a little sooner, the tongue is black as can be.

I'll bring him to the table with some glasses , try to soften the kids up.
20211118_183654.jpg

That left side where the rub washed off looks gnarly. Looks like roadrash lol
20211118_183830.jpg 20211118_183951.jpg

Just finished. It took 9.5 hours but I was out Christmas shopping and it sat at 225 for 4 hours instead of my planned 2. Rode 300-325 the rest of the way. I didn't get crispy skin but I don't think the 2 extra hours at 225 was the reason why.

The things is dripping juice everywhere I poke it. The head hit 195 in the deepest part of the cheek poking it from the side straight into the jaw and then pulling back a little. Some parts all over the head were up to 210-212. Going into the cheek inline with the snout like most of the videos I saw the temp hit 195 hours ago so I'm hoping holding out was worth it. The snout real dark, probably should have foiled a little sooner, the tongue is black as can be.

I'll bring him to the table with some glasses , try to soften the kids up.
View attachment 516728

That left side where the rub washed off looks gnarly. Looks like roadrash lol
View attachment 516730View attachment 516731

Can't wait to hear how it tastes!

Yeah skin of any kind always wants to be cooked at hotter temps. That is one of the 2 biggest quirks when cooking poultry. Same should go for pork skin.
Skin just wants to be cooked at like 325F is all.

Looks good. Even if the skin is not crispy, save it for other dishes. I love when the Skin gets Melt in your Mouth tender in Collard Greens. You have a Dog? A dog would go bananas over that too done Snout...JJ

Reactions: tallbm
We ended up having a real late dinner with the kids church group running long. The broiler on low for 5-10 did crisp up the skin nicely and that was very good and crispy.
Overall impression the meat was good but not great. There was just so much fat it made it hard to separate the fat from the meat. The meat that was there was very very good though. The fat was well rendered there was just so much of it. I could definitely see where this would work well boiled down and everything could be separated.
The ears we all passed around and munched on the ends before giving to the dogs and another dog got the snout. The eyeball was definitely not my, the texture on those were nasty but I got it down.
Overall I have another one in the fridge to do but I doubt I would pick up another one unless I had a very specific reason for it.

We ended up having a real late dinner with the kids church group running long. The broiler on low for 5-10 did crisp up the skin nicely and that was very good and crispy.
Overall impression the meat was good but not great. There was just so much fat it made it hard to separate the fat from the meat. The meat that was there was very very good though. The fat was well rendered there was just so much of it. I could definitely see where this would work well boiled down and everything could be separated.
The ears we all passed around and munched on the ends before giving to the dogs and another dog got the snout. The eyeball was definitely not my, the texture on those were nasty but I got it down.
Overall I have another one in the fridge to do but I doubt I would pick up another one unless I had a very specific reason for it.

If you boil one down let us know your experience. I eat the most amazing tamales made with pigs heads so I know they are good for that application.

Often times a cut of meat done one way is no good compared to a different way. Venison shanks and shanks in general are a prime example of this. People throw them away but they may be my favorite part when done braised.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky