Pig Head

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
To paraphrase my Father's Generation and a couple Billion Asians. Fat is Flavor and the Best part! In some Asian countries, Korea for one, Fatty Pork Belly costs as much as Prime Beef! My Dad and Uncles would argue if one or the other was taking all the Fatty meat off the platter. I remember, back in the 60's and 70's, commercially produced Smoked Hams had an Inch of Fat on the edge. YUM! NOW, 1/4" is a Fatty Ham!
Americans have been pushed to Healthy Low Fat meat for so long, many can't stand the Taste and especially the Texture of Pure Fat on meat. When my Wife and I cook and eat a Steak, there is nothing left on the plate but Bone and any inedible Sinew. The Dogs give us dirty looks!🤬 In contrast, I used to be able to make a Meal off what my kids trimmed off! They only ate lean Meat trimming the fat and 1/2" of Meat away. They have since Smartened up. Good and bad for me , I guess.😜

In any event you had fun and found out if you liked Smoked Pig's Head. If you would like to try it, Suckling Pigs, 20 pounds or so, have much leaner heads and the thin skin gets crackling crisp...JJ

OP, I think your end results and presentation suffered considerably with your use of rub. It may be That rub or any rub on pork skin. Did that rub have a bunch of sugar in it. I've seen many lovely presentations of pork with skin on but none of them have had rub on them. Maybe some salt but nothing else. YMMV

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky