Piedmontese Skirt Steak Tacos/Fajita Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
This past Christmas, I was able to order some Certified Piedmontese Beef for my wife and I as a gift. It comes highly recommended from tx smoker tx smoker and now I can see why. For a skirt steak, this was extremely tender but also very lean. I ended up making a healthier fajita salad for my wife (no carbs) and some fajita-style tacos for myself.

Skirt steak all thawed out and ready to go.
IMG_4027.jpg

The marinade that I made up today consisted of leftover chile puree that I made earlier in the week for my wife's veggie chili. I won't post that since I don't want to be thrown outta here! lol. The puree was made with 4 ancho, 4 pasilla, 4 arbol, 4 New Mexican and 4 guajillo chiles. The chiles were pulled out of the freezer and toasted in an oven, then de-seeded. Then I placed them in 3 cups of hot chicken broth and covered for 20 minutes.

Once the chiles were softened, I removed them and added them to a blender. I slowly added back the soaking water until I was happy with the consistency of the puree. I added two cups of the soaking water.

Here's the puree. Such a beautiful color. Great flavor too, definitely worth the little bit of extra time it takes to make it.
IMG_3982.jpg

I used what I needed for the veggie chili and froze the rest in ice cube trays. Once frozen, they are placed in a bag and stuck back in the freezer. I pulled out 3 cubes for the fajita marinade today.

Chili-pops anyone?
IMG_4020.jpg

Fajita Marinade

3 chili cubes (I guess about 1/3 of a cup)
1/4c. low sodium soy sauce
1/4c. vegetable oil
3T. brown sugar
2tsp. ground cumin
1tsp. garlic powder
1tsp. black pepper
1tsp. salt
2 limes juiced

Mix all ingredients and pour over meat, reserve 2T of marinade and throw in with your vegetables. Today I used 2 red bell peppers, 1 green pepper, and 1 medium sized onion.
IMG_4036.jpg

The skirt steak was marinated for 9 hours. The peppers and onions were marinated for 2 hours. Once I was ready to grill, I patted the meat dry to get a good sear. I also cut it in half to make two manageable pieces. The skirt steak took about 5 minutes. 3 minutes on the first side and then flipped for the remaining time. When the skirt steak was finished, it was brought inside and covered in foil while I finished off the peppers and onions.

IMG_4038.jpg

After you cut up the meat, add the accumulated meat juices to the finished peppers and onions. Nothing is wasted here.

My wife always starts eating healthier after the Super Bowl. Me, not so much as I'm still a fatty at heart. She opted for a salad. Now, since it was just me eating the fajitas, I bought a small pack of corn tortillas instead of buying the bigger flour tortillas.

Here's my tacos. Fajita marinated skirt steak, with peppers/onions and a little bit of cilantro and cotija cheese:
IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4045.jpg

Here's my wife's salad. Spring mix greens and sliced tomatoes and avocados, topped with the skirt steak, peppers and onions. She didn't add any dressing, and it sounded like she didn't need any. Her plate was half finished by the time I got done taking pictures of my dinner.
IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

Well, I must say we were both really pleased with our dinners. the CPB had a great flavor. It was extremely tender. I'm glad this turned out so well because it will make future orders that much easier! I'm sold on it, can't wait to try some of the other cuts.

Oh.....and here's the veggie chili, I'm still allowed in here right?
IMG_4013.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Nothing wrong with that chili...as long as you put one of those skirt steaks on a plate next to it! Fantastic looking meal you made.

Big like
Ryan

Looks Great I could eat that anytime. I have a friend who raises Piedmontese.

Gary

Looks delicious Joe!! I’ll have to try something similar with CPB soon. Chili looks good too!

Joe another nicely done meal.I remember when Skirt Steak was cheap now it cost more then prime rib.
Richie

Last edited:
Looks good Joe! Great job!
I love reading your threads, very informative, excellent food and lots of great pictures!!

Thank you for the kind words Justin, that is such a strong compliment. Thank you again, it means a lot. I try to stay on the simple end of things and I share everything.

Nothing wrong with that chili...as long as you put one of those skirt steaks on a plate next to it! Fantastic looking meal you made.

Big like
Ryan

Thank you Ryan, they were very good! Best of all, it’s easy to make. The chili was actually very good too, it was our dinner for two nights. The wife gets recipes sent to her but they leave a lot to be desired. Powdered chili swapped for the puree was what I changed in it.

She had a recipe for fajitas but they were to baked in the oven! I just couldn’t do that, especially when we have a grill and some cast iron pans.

Looks Great I could eat that anytime. I have a friend who raises Piedmontese.

Gary

Thanks Gary. I thought it was a good cut of meat, definitely less fatty than what I’m used to.

Did you ever get to ride one home for your world class briskets?

A meal fit for a king, and his queen! Nice piece of work, Like. RAY

Thank you Ray I appreciate it! I’m just a regular peon and a working-class stiff lol. Although my wife’s coworkers are jealous that her husband cooks the way he does. Maybe she’s the Queen in all of this.

Ray another nicely done meal.I remember when Skirt Steak was cheap now it cost more then prime rib.
Richie

Thank you Richie, I appreciate it. Yeah the price for skirt is insane even at Wally World!! So when I ordered from CPB and got the holiday promo with 25% off and free shipping, I didn’t really spend all that much more than if I went to the grocery store and bought all the cuts myself.

I’d like to make that a yearly thing for the holidays.

Wow Joe!
It doesn't get much better than that!
Everything looks delicious!
Great photo's too!
Al

Thats what I'm talking about! Man that sure looks good! You know I like my tacos and those are some of the best ive seen. I'll take 1 dozen please. Lol!

Looks delicious Joe!! I’ll have to try something similar with CPB soon. Chili looks good too!

Thanks Jeff! What all did you order from CPB? I got skirt steaks, bavette steaks and a tri tip and they threw in 2lbs of free ground beef. I’m trying to wait until the weather is warmer to use these in the smoker and with charcoal.

I’d definitely make the chili again! Thanks again my friend.

Wow Joe that looks amazing! I could eat the salad as an appetizer and the tacos for dinner! The steak was perfectly cooked. Glad you were able to dust some snow off the grill and fire it up! One of these days I've got to try some of the CBP after seeing all these awesome posts. You killed it man. +1 on the cotija cheese.

Wow!!
Looks Great, Joe!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I never had anything like that, but I'd gladly get after a couple like Yours!!
The Veggie Chili looks real good too!!

Bear

Thats what I'm talking about! Man that sure looks good! You know I like my tacos and those are some of the best ive seen. I'll take 1 dozen please. Lol!

Thanks Travis! We’re both taco aficionados. I’m always drooling at yours. Too bad you didn’t live closer, we could do a taco swap!

Wow Joe that looks amazing! I could eat the salad as an appetizer and the tacos for dinner! The steak was perfectly cooked. Glad you were able to dust some snow off the grill and fire it up! One of these days I've got to try some of the CBP after seeing all these awesome posts. You killed it man. +1 on the cotija cheese.

Thank you very much John! Truth be told, I kinda wanted the salad. My wife said she couldn’t eat the tortillas so I thought she was just eating the meat, peppers and onions. That’s why I picked up a small pack of corn tortillas. Then when she got home, I learned it was going to be a steak fajita salad, so I’m muttering “damn” to myself as I’m making it....guess I should listen better.

Wow!!
Looks Great, Joe!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I never had anything like that, but I'd gladly get after a couple like Yours!!
The Veggie Chili looks real good too!!

Bear

Thanks John! You would like it. If you were just a little bit closer, I’d run some down to you but I couldn’t guarantee they would be still warm.

Reactions: Sowsage
Joe, the entire meal looks astonishing!! A truly beautiful meal. I'd be thrilled with either the salad or the tacos....but wouldn't mind a bit having both :emoji_wink: I'm just curious though, why isn't this on the carousel? IMHO it's certainly worthy. Heck, just the perfect cook of the steak and the vibrancy of all the colors makes it stunning.

Robert

Joe, the entire meal looks astonishing!! A truly beautiful meal. I'd be thrilled with either the salad or the tacos....but wouldn't mind a bit having both :emoji_wink: I'm just curious though, why isn't this on the carousel? IMHO it's certainly worthy. Heck, just the perfect cook of the steak and the vibrancy of all the colors makes it stunning.

Robert

Thanks Robert, and thank you for the CPB recommendation from a while back. I’m excited to see what I make with the remaining cuts of beef...only time will tell.

The meal was definitely visually appealing, no photo editing or trickery, just shot on my iPhone camera, but more importantly, it was very tasty. No answer for you on the carousel.

Thanks Jeff! What all did you order from CPB? I got skirt steaks, bavette steaks and a tri tip and they threw in 2lbs of free ground beef. I’m trying to wait until the weather is warmer to use these in the smoker and with charcoal.

I’d definitely make the chili again! Thanks again my friend.
I have a couple sirloin roasts,inside skirt steaks and some tenderloin tips.

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky