Pickles!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice looking cukes, Steve.
My wife has a batch of pickles in MY fridge. I've been turning the jar twice a day as the brine almost covered the slices until the wilt down.

I love dilly beans. Stupid me didn't plant any beans in the garden.
Refrigerator style sounds great, but how do you get them to keep until the next bean season?
I'm canning my (no salt) tomato sauce tomorrow to have for a Sunday brunch bloody. A few dilly beans adds a nice veggie crunch
For the refrigerator version, I make 3 or 4 jars of each item. The mix I use claims 6 months life in the fridge when unopened. I do process 6 jars of pickles and can use the same mix, but they don't have the crunch. Sam's club has very good quality green beans, and they work great for dilly beans in the off season.

We make pizza sauce using jars of passata, I use 1/2 pint jars which is enough for 3 pizzas.

Afternoon all! So, after looking all summer for pickling cukes. I finally found some. At Wegmans no less! At 2.00 a pound. I just got enough for 2 quarts.
Before I proceed. Understand that these are NOT SHELF STABLE! These are fridge pickles. The ratio I'm using is 3:1 here. 3 parts water, one part vinegar. Sometimes I want a milder dill pickle. And these fit the bill.

View attachment 512130

2 pounds pickling cukes and fresh dill.
Trim off the blossom end of each cuke. And slice whatever way you choose. I just sliced these in half length wise.
In each quart jar I put 1/4 tsp pickle crisp and 1 TBS minced garlic. Along with a healthy amount of fresh dill. And a couple pickled peppers. And pack with the cukes.
For the brine 3:1 water and vinegar and 2 TBS of pickling salt. Brought to a mild boil. Then add to the jars.

View attachment 512131

Vacuum sealed and into the fridge for a few days before eating. These come out crunchy with a mild vinegar/dill taste with a hit of garlic.
How much brine for those 2#? Also did you let brine cool before adding to pickles? You gave ratios but not amount per each batch...gallon quart etc.
Kit

How much brine for those 2#? Also did you let brine cool before adding to pickles? You gave ratios but not amount per each batch...gallon quart etc.
Kit

1.5 quarts of water and 1/2 quart vinegar. P{our it in hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky