Pickled Jalapenos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've done similar japs except I packed in jars, poured boiling brine mixture over them, then put lids on and inverted til cool. I find I prefer cider vinegar to the white for almost all pickling.

Update, after 9 days I opened them up. And tried some. Here are my thoughts:
They stayed just as crunchy as fresh.
They are a touch sweet for me. The next batch will only have 2 tablespoons of sugar instead of 4.
The pieces that had no seeds had the perfect heat. Next batch will have little to no seeds in them. Or have some removed seeds added to the brine. The Hungarian peppers I have setting have the seeds removed. I'll be trying them this weekend.

Reactions: chopsaw
I used to re-use jars for pickling/canning but I switched to proper canning jars and lids.

But for dry stuff, old jars are fine if you can get the labels off. Depending on the label, sometimes it isn't worth the effort.

Those peppers I put in the Claussen brine stayed crisp. Maybe there's something like alum in the brine for crispness.

Seasoning jars can be worth saving, if you make your own seasonings like rubs, etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky