Pickled Jalapenos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I had a bunch of jalapenos left over from making the SS. So I found a recipe for pickling them. Pretty easy to do:
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 cloves garlic crushed
Combine above into a pot and bring to a boil. Then turn off flame and add about 15 sliced jalapenos. Let it set for 15 minutes. Then place in jar. And let it continue to sit at room temp. until cool. Then put on lid and put in fridge.
Quite tasty. And better then the store bought ones I think.

pickled jala.jpg

Your jalapenos look great!
When I make pickles I always add a few jalapenos & onions to the jar!
And your right, they are much better than store bought!
Al

Those jalapeños will be good and they’re much better than store bougt!! I make these a lot

The green beans sound great. If you ever get a chance, try pickling some turnips. They’re delicious. I just pickled two jars.

Good looking japs.@Bags101 makes some killer pickled green beans - with old No. 7 in them.
Hit'em up if you're interested...

Those jalapeños will be good and they’re much better than store bougt!! I make these a lot

The green beans sound great. If you ever get a chance, try pickling some turnips. They’re delicious. I just pickled two jars.

Now that's something I never heard of. How do you make those?

Looks good!

I'm playing around with something now. We finished a jar of Claussen pickles, why waste the brine? I had some fresh serranos so I sliced them up and put them in the jar. Then I was in the grocery and they had habaneros. Knife. Plop. Half of a big onion. Plop. Maybe some garlic.

picklehell.jpg

While I'm waiting for Hell to freeze over, I can at least keep some in the refrigerator.

Now for a derail, how many of you save glass jars for re-use instead of throwing them out? I have many of them in various sizes. They are rhodent-proof. The typical pickle jar is a nice size for holding beans or grains. Back when Linda was drinking instant coffee, I saved the jars and they are the perfect size for a 1-pound bag of beans.

I like beans.

So some questions... 1. After you add the solution, you just let them cool down and thats it? No canning or anything 2. How long will they last? Do you keep in fridge, cool place etc

I've tried making some before but they ended up mushy and gross. I tried pickling and then canning them so i probably did something wrong there.

Looks good!

I'm playing around with something now. We finished a jar of Claussen pickles, why waste the brine? I had some fresh serranos so I sliced them up and put them in the jar. Then I was in the grocery and they had habaneros. Knife. Plop. Half of a big onion. Plop. Maybe some garlic.

View attachment 385960

While I'm waiting for Hell to freeze over, I can at least keep some in the refrigerator.

Now for a derail, how many of you save glass jars for re-use instead of throwing them out? I have many of them in various sizes. They are rhodent-proof. The typical pickle jar is a nice size for holding beans or grains. Back when Linda was drinking instant coffee, I saved the jars and they are the perfect size for a 1-pound bag of beans.

I like beans.

My family use to save all types of jars to reuse, store bought pasta, salsa, all of them... and we would use them for our canning jars then for homemade salsa and sauces... im a little picky about reusing jars like that(even though we have for a long time) but now since i am the one doing all the canning i just use normal mason jars and new lids. I even won't reuse lids cuase im afraid they won't seal from potential damage( am I weird to do that?) But for not reusing jars I'm fine doing so cuase i got like 5 big totes full of jars for canning

So some questions... 1. After you add the solution, you just let them cool down and thats it? No canning or anything 2. How long will they last? Do you keep in fridge, cool place etc

I've tried making some before but they ended up mushy and gross. I tried pickling and then canning them so i probably did something wrong there.

No, they are not canned. I treat them like pickles or other items of that nature. They'll last a good while. After they cool down you keep them in the fridge. They are nice and crisp.

Looks good!

View attachment 385960

I like beans.

I used to reuse large jars that pickles or mild pepper rings came. Actually I still have a reused jar with pickled eggs in them. I'm starting to use Ball mason jars now. I just feel safer with them. Though I'm not really canning with them.

Gonna be good Steve ! I use Al's pickle recipe to do mine Jap slices .

Hey ,, how 'bout updated kitchen pics ?

Yes indeed! I always pickle the last of the jalapenos from the garden in the fall, after using them for making salsa with garden tomatoes, then letting them ripen bright red for making sriracha. Simple and easy to do,and so good! I also make candied jalapenos that are so good, you can eat them right out of the jar. Love those with sausage on a bun....

Gonna be good Steve ! I use Al's pickle recipe to do mine Jap slices .

Hey ,, how 'bout updated kitchen pics ?

I haven't given a update in a bit. Did I? It's moving along. The granite counter top and sink/faucet are in. Not plumbed yet though. There is more trim work to be done. But all in all. I'm very pleased with the progress.

Before:
before.JPG

After:
kitchen latest 2.jpg

In the before pic where the stove was. I took that wall down. And rearranged the appliances.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky