Pickled eggs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Buddy of mine has diabetes but loves pickled eggs. I want to make some for him but leave out the sugar for his health. Any recipes that don't have sugar but still plenty of flavor would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I don't use sugar in mine except for what is in the cider vinegar. You can use white distilled vinegar instead. Which I've used and the taste is just as good. Cinnamon is often added in store bought pickling spice. Which my wife can not eat. So when I know she is going to eat something that I'm going to pickle I was this recipe.
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
  • 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
  • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 1 tablespoon dill seeds
  • 1 teaspoon allspice berries, optional
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon minced dried onions Mix together and use as you would in the recipe I posted

Last edited:
Follow my recipe on the first post. I did a quart jar. Which had 11 eggs in it. Just remember. If you use this recipe for the pickling spice:
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
  • 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
  • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 1 tablespoon dill seeds
  • 1 teaspoon allspice berries, optional
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon minced dried onions
You'll mix all this together. But only use 2 tsp of it for the batch. You can put it in with the vinegar and salt to boil.
Or just put it in the jar with the other ingredients. Then pour the hot brine into the jar filled with the eggs and spices.

Another batch. Added Jalapenos to this one for a little kick.

_DSC9052.jpg

I got curious about how people are using their instant pots for making boiled eggs. I wanted to give it a go. And I was almost out of pickled eggs anyway. So, I put one cup of water in my IP. Added a dozen eggs on top of the steam rack. I set the IP to the soup setting, high pressure for 5 minutes. Then let it drop in pressure normally, about another 5 minutes. Then into a ice bath for 10 minutes. These peeled super easy. Which is great!
I put 3 cups of cider vinegar with 1 TBS of pickling salt to boil.
In the quart mason jar I added:
2 tsp of pickling spice
2 tsp dried dill
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried minced onion
Only 11 eggs would fit in the jar. Oh, well. You can guess where that one went.....
Filled within 1/2" to top with the brine. Vac sealed and into the fridge for a week.

Good thing you didn’t make 24 eggs, with only 11 fitting in the jar!!
You might have had to call Paul Newman in to help.

Bear

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky