Pickle Loaf and Jalapeno White cheddar Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Love pickle loaf , and have been wanting to take a run at it . So I've been looking around at some spice profiles . Nothing really on pickle loaf . Found some olive loaf and some Dutch Mortadella that had green and red peppers in it . So I used the Dutch Mortadella from Marianski as a base. Omitted the bell peppers and added sweet pickle relish and pimento .
Pressed into a bread pan overnight to firm up . Then vac'd and poached on the stove top .
I used ground pork butt and added the pickle relish and pimento right out of the jar by the spoonful until I got the look I wanted . Juice and all , didn't bother draining . Just add and mix .
Then into the bread pan lined with plastic wrap so I can get it out .
20221130_104846.jpg
Next day I turned it out on a plate , the vac'd it up .
20221201_064802.jpg
Pot settled in around 172 . Close enough . Used the inkbird to
keep an eye on the water temp .
20221201_090500.jpg
I let it go at 172 about 4 hours .
20221201_090510.jpg
Pulled and took the temp . 162 . That's perfect .
Not much to look at though .
20221201_115141.jpg
Cooled overnight , then took some slices .
20221201_143617.jpg
20221201_143625.jpg
It was really good . Spot on for flavor . The amount of relish and pimento was perfect .
If you like the taste of pickle loaf , this is it .
Next run will be waterproof casings and SV .

I also did some SS chubs . Jalapeno with white cheddar horseradish cheese .
Used the Jadgwurst formula from Marianski then added the Jalapeno by eye .
No need to measure or weigh it to take a percentage . I had 5 semi-dry ripe peppers on the counter ,
and picked two fresh ones off the plant . Cut the stem off , chopped 'em up and mixed them in .
Same with the cheese . Added until I liked the looks .
Used the cloth bags . Smoked with mesquite , cherry and beech .
When they reached temp , I just shut the smoker down and let the chubs cool overnight
right in the smoker . This is the next morning .
20221202_054637.jpg
Couple of sliced picks . This has great flavor and the amounts are perfect .
That's why I do it by looks . Good placement on the ingredients too .
Has some mustard seed in there also . The heat is perfect as well .
20221202_111142.jpg
20221202_111148.jpg

20221202_111157.jpg
Did some uncased sticks while I was at it .
Hunters sausage from Marianski . Has a caraway flavor profile .
Like Kabanosy .
I just run them out on foil and use my Jerky racks for the oven .
20221201_070908.jpg
20221201_072116.jpg
When they set enough I pull the foil out . Flip them over to even out the color .
Used the oven because I had the SS hanging in the MES .
These are all pork also . THey come out great like this .
20221201_115137.jpg
20221201_143127.jpg
That's it .

Not sure I'd like the pickle loaf. I'd have to try it first, but the SS and the sticks I'd be eating 24/7. Great job Rich.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Not sure I'd like the pickle loaf. I'd have to try it first, but the SS and the sticks I'd be eating 24/7. Great job Rich.
Thanks Chris . I got the urge to make something seeing some of the latest threads . Pickle loaf has the pimento flavor . I got hooked on it years ago .
If you like caraway , you'd love the sticks . Hard to stop eating them .

Reactions: gmc2003
If not for the pimentos the pickle sounds good but the SS would be good and definitely gonna have to try the sticks...we loved the kabonosy you helped me with! Nice jib all the way around!
About the only thing I'm good at going by looks is making drinks lol!

Ryan

Thanks Chris . I got the urge to make something seeing some of the latest threads . Pickle loaf has the pimento flavor . I got hooked on it years ago .
If you like caraway , you'd love the sticks . Hard to stop eating them .
Not a huge fan of pimentos. Which is why I'd have to try it first. Now Horseradish cheddar and Jalapeno are right up my alley. So there would be no doubt about the SS. I've had kabanosy a couple of times and really liked it. Way too advanced for my skill level but I do enjoy reading and finding similar products around here to try.

Chris

If not for the pimentos the pickle sounds good but the SS would be good and definitely gonna have to try the sticks..
The SS is spot on . Just wish I had some venison to mix with the pork .
loved the kabonosy you helped me with!
Happy to help . See , that's how it works . I got the help from others when I joined . If and when the time comes it should be passed along .

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Horseradish cheddar and Jalapeno are right up my alley.
That horseradish cheddar is good stuff . Boarshead sells a Swiss and rye . Swiss cheese with caraway seed . Good stuff .

Reactions: gmc2003
That's some amazing looking goodies
Thanks Robert . I did a big batch of fresh sausage a couple weeks ago , but seeing all the sticks and spam posted I had to make something .
Your ingenuity amazes me.
Thanks Lynn . Last time I heard that I ended up with 2 kids and a big house payment . Certainly appreciate the comment .
I was wondering today if you got your SV yet ?
Also a little insight to the uncased sticks . Those would be great in the Chief .
Thanks for lookin .

Reactions: halleoneagain
Dang Rich! Your P&P loaf looks and is guaranteed to be superior to what Oscar Mayer tries to pass off. Nice job on all of it.

Stu

Man I would love that pickle loaf. Sausage looks also.
Brian if you're a fan of pickle loaf you would . I was surprised by how good the flavor was . Thanks bud .
Dang Rich! Your P&P loaf looks and is guaranteed to be superior to what Oscar Mayer tries to pass off. Nice job on all of it.
Thanks Stu . I'll be doing it again . Appreciate the comment .

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Man Rich, that loaf looks delicious. The SS looks rather lovely also. The sticks I'd have to try as caraway can overwhelm my taste buds. Any way you slice it (pun intended) it's solid work. :emoji_muscle:

chopsaw chopsaw
Wow, that is some great looking stuff! Wish it was 3 separate threads, they all deserve great comments!

I don't think I've had pickle loaf, but I made spam yesterday and this looks similar. I never liked mortadella with the olives, but I do like pickles. And I liked the spam, so I bet this would be good. Now I want to try some but not commit to a loaf... gonna look at my deli!

The SS iwth the white cheddar looks great! I bought some of those cloth bags to make pork roll, they look good. I wonder if you can wash, boil, and reuse them?

Lastly, that caseless stick looks great! I love kabanosy, bought a 1 lb bottle of caraway from Amazon just to make it as I've made a good bit. I like the caseless sound. Also, some comments from wedlinydomowe site, about Marianski's new book and kabanosy, lead me to believe maybe he didnt publish accurate info in his Home Production? I got impression maybe the grind should be rougher and no water... just wondering if you have thoughts on kabanosy as it sounds like you also make a lot. So far I've just used Home Production recipe verbatim, but various casing from sheep to 21mm fresh collagen.
Thx for any info, fantastic post and pictures!

All look great Rich, but interested in the pickle loaf, cause I love sweet relish, plus make my own different kinds of relish.

This loaf idea is something I think I will try ( don't really care for pimento ) but never stopped me from trying things

Thanks for posting this

David

Phenomenal piece of work Rich, flying by the seat of your pants and showing true creativity! I liked pimento loaf sanny's as a kid, haven't had one in ages, I'd be all over that! RAY

Very nice Rich. I'll have to give this loaf a try. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky