PIA Honey Mustard Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
In a prior post, I showed a time consuming method for smoking chicken thighs that gives a great tender skin but is a pain in the pants. I am lazy but the result was so good, I decided to experiment with it further. I like honey mustard so I made PIA Honey Mustard Thighs.

I was lucky and got a big tray of thighs for a good price. I used six for this cook.

I started by taking the skin off a chicken thigh. Using a sharp knife, I carefully scraped the fat layer off the skin. This was difficult because the cheap chicken thighs I had purchased in bulk had obviously been machined processed and they looked like the chicken had been in a knife fight.

I just worked carefully scraping the fat. You will note that the fat builds up on the knife and you have to clean it frequently.

Then I applied some barbecue rub to the chicken thigh. You can use any rub you like. I used my basic bbq rub. I wrapped the scraped skin around the thigh and put it on a plate. I repeated with each thigh. I sprinkled the thighs with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

PIA Honey Mustard Thighs 01.jpg

I put enough melted butter in a roasting pan to cover the bottom 1/8 inch deep. I added vegetable oil to the butter until the mixture was 1/4 inch deep.

I put the chicken in the roasting pan, skin side down. I put the pan in a smoker that had been preheated to 275 F. I smoked for 45 minutes.

PIA Honey Mustard Thighs 02.jpg

While the chicken was smoking, I put 40 ml (3 tablespoons) of honey in a microwave safe container. I put 1 minced garlic clove in the honey. I microwaved for about 25 seconds, until the honey is liquid. I mixed in 15 ml Dijon mustard and set it aside.

PIA Honey Mustard Thighs 03.jpg

I turned the thighs in the butter mixture to coat and put them skin side up on the grill of the smoker. I smoked to an internal temperature of over 170 F, about another 45 minutes.

PIA Honey Mustard Thighs 04.jpg

I microwaved the honey mixture to make it liquid again and brushed it over both sides of the thighs. I smoked for 10 minutes longer to set the sauce.

PIA Honey Mustard Thighs 05.jpg

I brought the thighs in and tented them under foil. Let them rest for five to ten minutes.

PIA Honey Mustard Thighs 06.jpg

I served it with coleslaw and garlic toast.

PIA Honey Mustard Thighs 07.jpg

PIA Honey Mustard Thighs 08.jpg

The Verdict:

The skin was wonderful, just like the prior effort. Very tender and bite through. When you take a bite, it doesn’t pull of the chicken.

PIA Honey Mustard Thighs 09.jpg

It isn’t rubbery at all. It just makes a great coating on the moist chicken meat.

The honey mustard gives a great sweet/spice combination and makes the chicken glisten!

I really like this.

Disco

Wow!!!
PIA is Right !!
I wish I could eat at your house Disco, because there's No Way I could do all that with each Thigh!!
Looks Fabulous though!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: JC in GB
They are beautiful for sure. I MIGHT have to try this on a couple. LOL

Looks awesome Disco!
Thank you so much!

Wow!!!
PIA is Right !!
I wish I could eat at your house Disco, because there's No Way I could do all that with each Thigh!!
Looks Fabulous though!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

I hear you, Bear. I have eschewed skinning the thighs and scraping the skin for years but it does make a really great result. Head on over. You can eat at Passing Wind Estates anytime!

Looks darn tasty! I also scrape the fat (sometimes, still experimenting with how I do my chicken). Last time, using my fillet knife, instead of the usual scraping I sorta filleted the fat off - faster, less effort, and less torn skin. Very sharp knife.

Looks darn tasty! I also scrape the fat (sometimes, still experimenting with how I do my chicken). Last time, using my fillet knife, instead of the usual scraping I sorta filleted the fat off - faster, less effort, and less torn skin. Very sharp knife.

Thanks! I use a very sharp knife but do find the fat builds up on the blade and I have to clean it often.

Even if they taste like urethane (which I'm sure they don't), they really look great!

like..

Thank you! Not urethane, more like spar varnish!

Disco , always top shelf . Those look great .

I appreciate that, Chopsaw!

Amazing looking chicken. Your Cold Slaw look good, I’ve been trying to find a dressing that I like, so far all I’ve tried are okay but none that I make a second time. Would you share yours?

Nice job Disco, that chicken looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

Awesome Disco!
A lot of work, but it sure looks like it was worth it!
This is just the kind of project I like to do!
Am bookmarking this for future use!!
Thanks for posting it in such detail!!
Al

Thanks! I use a very sharp knife but do find the fat builds up on the blade and I have to clean it often.

I still get the fat build up but found a more slicing/cutting motion as opposed to the usually described "scrape" to be far more efficient. Good method if you have the time!

Looks great and also looks like what my wife calls "A labor of love" due to the time and effort to make them (like deviled eggs or home made potato salad).

Like!

Amazing looking chicken. Your Cold Slaw look good, I’ve been trying to find a dressing that I like, so far all I’ve tried are okay but none that I make a second time. Would you share yours?
Thanks, Murray. My wife got this coleslaw recipe from a magazine. It is called Christine's Coleslaw and we make it all the time.

250 ml (1 cup) mayonnaise
125 ml (1/2 cup) sour cream
15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp)Dijon mustard
15 ml (1 tbsp) red wine vinegar
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
1 ml (1/4 tsp) celery seeds
1 ml (1/4 tsp) pepper
1 large cabbage
1 carrot
1 rib celery
1 tart apple
1/2 sweet red pepper
3 green onions, thinly sliced

In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, mustard, vinegar, salt, celery seeds and pepper.

Finely slice cabbage, carrot, celery, apple and red pepper. Add to dressing along with green onion and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

We also make a great deli style coleslaw with a vinegar dressing that is totally different but delicious.

Disco

Nice job Disco, that chicken looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks for the point, GMC!

Looks great Disco to much work for me. LIKE
Richie

Thanks, Richie. It is too much work for me too but when I did give it a try. She Who Must Be Obeyed liked it so, apparently, now it isn't too much work.

Disco

Looks great and also looks like what my wife calls "A labor of love" due to the time and effort to make them (like deviled eggs or home made potato salad).

Like!

Har! As She Who Must Be Obeyed likes this, it is definitely a labour of love. Thanks for the like!

Awesome Disco!
A lot of work, but it sure looks like it was worth it!
This is just the kind of project I like to do!
Am bookmarking this for future use!!
Thanks for posting it in such detail!!
Al

Thanks, Al. A word of warning. Don't let the missus try them. She will want all your thighs done like this.

I still get the fat build up but found a more slicing/cutting motion as opposed to the usually described "scrape" to be far more efficient. Good method if you have the time!

Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky