Philly cheesesteak ideas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
I saw something a while back where someone made a fatty and rolled it in bread dough.  Any go to recipes for something like that???

I'd really like to give something like this a shot.  How do you make the steak fatty.  Do I have to buy shaved streak or can one make it at home?

I don't have the answer you are looking for but I recommend you try some pepperoni on your next philly cheese steak along with some extra cheese.  Good stuff.

I don't have the answer you are looking for but I recommend you try some pepperoni on your next philly cheese steak along with some extra cheese.  Good stuff.
LOL---That would be a "Texas Cheesesteak".
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

No Pepperoni on any Philly Cheesesteak I've ever seen, but I probably only saw about a Thousand or more.

BTW: Welcome Little Mike---When you get a chance, please stop at "Roll Call", and introduce yourself so you can be properly Welcomed.

Bear

Last edited:
Wow those pics have me salivating. Thanks. Let me talk to the wife and figure out what she's in the mood for! I'm hungry now.

Bear I saw this pockets previously. Nicely done!!!

How do you shred / shave meat so it comes out like a Philly cheesesteak.

It's all about the ribeye steak. Which is what I prefer to use. When the steak is still a bit frozen slice into 1/8"-1/4" thick strips. Season, cook in a searing hot skillet. Cooks fast so pay attention. If you must, chop the meat after cooking. I prefer the strips.

How do you shred / shave meat so it comes out like a Philly cheesesteak.
I lay frozen chipped steak in a skillet and shred with a fork while cooking, just as the meat is cooked and most of the moisture is cooked off, I place in a pan add salt and pepper, a bit of my (secret ingredient) a few spoonfulls of a cheese sauce, top with american cheese and fold in. It really is moist this way. I do 10lbs at a time and serve in a steamer pan for parties, its our biggest hit at parties and is always the first item to go.

A cheezewiz type of cheese (cheese sauce) is a good base with American cheese to keep the meat moist-like and being shredded really adds to the "Mouthfeel" texture of the steak.

Serve on a roll. Smoked provolone is a great addition, wrap in foil when hot for about 10 minutes before serving, this also gives the roll a different "chewier" texture for lack of a better word.

If you are making a Philly Cheesesteak, Don't listen too anyone that says don't use a cheese sauce like cheeze Wiz. I usually use a Nacho cheese sauce or a cheddar jalapeno cheese sauce for a base.

I make cheesesteaks with all kinds of meat. One of my favorite things to do with leftover brisket. Hell, I even do it with chicken:

Chicken Cheesesteaks are on the Menus of nearly All Steak Hoagie Joints in my area---Actually pretty popular.

Bear

Chicken Cheesesteaks are on the Menus of nearly All Steak Hoagie Joints in my area---Actually pretty popular.

Bear
I do that with leftover chicken breasts, I'll take the cold chicken and slice it on the meatslicer, toss around in a hot skillet with a bit of butter and EVO and I'm good to go.

I do that with leftover chicken breasts, I'll take the cold chicken and slice it on the meatslicer, toss around in a hot skillet with a bit of butter and EVO and I'm good to go.
Mrs Bear often gets the Chicken Cheesesteak at Salvatore's. I would only do that if they didn't have the Beef Cheesesteak. (Habit)

As for that Cheese Sauce, like Cheese Wiz, I think it depends on the sauce. I had it at Pat's, and it tasted like flavorless Grease.

Bear

I generally use check eye steaks frozen and shaved on the slicer. My wife prefers that I grill them first. Then semi freeze them., and slice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky