Pet owners worst responsibility

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Morning,

Sitting here at work ....4 in the morning. Dreading going home. One of my smoking buddies has gotten really sick.

I had her and her Brother for 14 years. She helped me get thru cancer...twice. She helped me rehab after a perp attacked me with a bat, shattered my right arm and almost killed me. She slept with me under the covers 90% of the time. Always jockeying for a spot curled up next to me kneading on any spot of skin she could find. 😋 Always faithfully waiting for me when I walked in the door after a 12 hour shift dealing with the dregs of society. Always lookin for chin scritches and belly rubs.ribs..

Monday I have to do what we all dread as responsible pet owners. I will sit next to her petting her head. Telling her what a good girl she is. How she has been the best cat I have ever had. How she's been my best friend. How much I will miss her. Then after she takes her final breath I will hold her and cry. I will leave that place with a large empty pet carrier and a huge hole in my heart.

Hug your smokin buddies, give em some scraps, belly rubs and some chin scritches.. Cherish a little time with them, because sadly it will one day instead be a cherished memory of a buddy you once shared your life with.
20220311_113844.jpg
20220311_103517.jpg

Christian

It is the worst thing and like you said the best we can do for our best friends when the time comes.
I know how you feel and it is terrible that we have to make that decision, I always wished that they would go in their sleep and be very peaceful for them. But when that does not happen, we have to be fare to them for all the love that they have given us over their life with us. And their unconditional love.

It will be 3 years for my sweet Gabby ( my avatar ) April 1st, and still miss her everyday

My heart goes with you as you do the right thing

David

• Love
Reactions: negolien
tough one, having dogs my whole life i've had to do this unfortunate responsibility, never an easy decision but it's what is fair for our pets so they don't suffer even knowing this it never makes it easy.

So sorry to hear this. My condolences and prayers to you.

Pets are the truest beings. Endless unconditional love. The hardest part of having pets is saying goodbye. But there is some comfort in knowing we gave them all we could.

Prayers sent your way.. I know it's hard as we have done it numerous times...

That being said... just this morning our neighbors dog just bit the neighbors grandson.. got him pretty good on the arm, hand, and leg... needless to say... that's gonna do it for the dog... he has bitten other people previously as well... so sad...

• Sad
Sad days indeed. It's been almost two years to the day for my Sir Chancealot (my avatar) He was 15+ and left me a lifetime of memories. So sad to hear about your smokin' buddy.

• Love
it is a terrible responsibility but one we have to endure . i know folks that drop their fur babies off and go back to get them or their ashes because they can't watch . i find it much more painful to know their last moments will be with strangers afraid because mom/dad isn't there and they know something bad is gonna happen . i also know folks who won't help their fur babies pass on with dignity making them endure pain and fear for months or even years ..... it is a terrible thing ! but we owe it to them . if there is a reward beyond this life surely we will be united with them again .

1648309065134.png

Appreciate the posts... Waiting the days till you take em in is the worst.

Sadly in my 52+ years and about a dozen cats I have never had one go naturally. I have only had one that was in immediate need a fip+ orange tabby named lol Tiger of course. Sweet little guy broke his back somehow cleaning himself under the table. You know how they all try and get that one spot on their backs. That was probably the most horrible one. I had only 1car at the time and I had to wait for the ole lady to get home. It took like an hour and a half. I had to put him in his little crate and sit outside as he screamed the whole time. I couldn't bare to sit in the house with him. It was traumatic for the poor vet also as we sat there trying to get him still so he could get the needle in to his little dehydrated body.

As we all know it is what it is. I read an article where vets say that the worst part for them is when owners aren't there and they look for them as they are being put down. I could never do that as much as I hate it I owe it to them to tell them how much I love them as they go and then sit and cuddle them for a few minutes afterwards not knowing how long brain function actually lasts.

I knew this was coming for a couple months as she had gotten to the point of having mobility issues. I should have done it earlier, but I felt guilty about the last one Yoda Who I felt I put down TOO early :<(. This is a picture of Leo and Yoda Mouses other two litter mates we kept all three :<). Yoda is the little one on the bottom. She had little tufts of fur on her ears reminded me of Yoda's pointy ears in the movies lol.

Attachments

• yoda and leo.JPG
    yoda and leo.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: GaryHibbert
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky