Persimmon smoked chicken salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
been cooped up since Tuesday, in a cast so limited but I was itching to get some cooking in. Decided to cook a whole chicken on the Weber. I used charcoal and some seasoned persimmon wood I’ve been dying to try. Plan was indirect heat for around 2 hrs. I don’t do much indirect cooking on the kettle but I knew I couldn’t cook on the Lang with only one hand!

I probably cooked a little too hot but that’s what happens when you aren’t used to a cooker. It ended up finishing in a little over 1.5 hrs.
F8D4131B-8393-407D-A37C-C93B7AB6070C.jpeg
Had the bird marinated in Italian, worshy n Tabasco. Added dry rub right before putting it on the grill.
3A8D2242-29DC-4948-B22A-F85F4BC87EB3.jpeg
Charcoal and persimmon chunks on one side.

45EAFD3C-BC0A-4F5F-9D43-97B1AA4BC3BC.jpeg
Just closed the kettle n checked n flipped a few times.
B139A10B-8E42-4D30-95F9-C4B0ACA5BE56.jpeg
Yard bird all ready to cool for shredding. Of course we couldn’t resist a few nibbles. By nibbles I mean almost half the chicken! The persimmon Smoke was very mild but pleasing to the palate. We enjoyed the flavor thoroughly.

Now for the chicken salad. Was really craving it but I don’t have a recipe. Well this turned out so well I had to share. We started w 4 cups shredded chicken. I used 1/4 cup mayo, two TBS spicy mustard, dash or so of liquid smoke,dash or so of worshestishire sauce and a splash of red wine vinegar for the dressing.

Chopped green onion, celery, two boiled eggs and a small yellow onion. That was all added to the party with some Tony’s, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and garlic salt.
B7E1F228-AB45-4019-AE41-9EBAA2FC26AB.jpeg
3EE30AA7-817F-4DBC-A823-0A1BA229563E.jpeg

Throw some on a saltine w a splash of Tabasco...
08BA737B-B483-41AB-ADF9-06F49B22117F.jpeg
If you like chicken salad, I implore you to try this recipe!!

Ps thanks to my sous chef for helping with the chopping! Couldn’t have done it without ya babe!

Nice, I like chicken salad, and that looks real good.

Point for sure.
Chris

Was looking for a chicken salad recipe and just ran across this old thread. Thanks for sharing. How much of the egg, celery, and onion did you add or was it just more an eyeball consistency thing?

Was looking for a chicken salad recipe and just ran across this old thread. Thanks for sharing. How much of the egg, celery, and onion did you add or was it just more an eyeball consistency thing?
Two boiled eggs, chopped. One small to medium yellow onion and I BELIEVE two stalks celery and two bunches of GO, but that would be more of an eyeball thing...

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky